Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered if anyone can tell me how the hiscox compares to the bam contoured case.

thanks,
ving

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
Don't have a Bam but the Hiscox is light in my estimation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,248 Posts
I have owned both but not at the same time. I would NEVER put my VI in a Bam case. The are ok but IMHO not nearly as protective. My memory does not suggest an appreciable weight between the two. I would go for protection, not weight given the very minor differences in either direction.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have tried both the hiscox weighs a little more but is safer than the bam softpack contoured case. And has more space inside. I finally bought a new hightech carbon bam case for my tenor, pricey but better than anything else in my opinion, Good luck.

sent from Mikey's Super Inspire 4G

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about compared to a Walt Johnson? As long as its lighter than that I would be fine. I only recently had a problem with my bam, its performed great for 8 years. And the issue is a strap one, so I really an not worried about either one, the damage incurred to my horn recently may well have happened with either of these cases.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
The old Johnson cases are better than the new ones and I don't like either one. The Hiscox is a great case. My tenor will never find itself nesting in anything else.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Jeez, I'm already confused as to what the question was? :scratch:

The inside of the BAM is form-fitting as long as your sax is Selmer-ish in design.
The inside of the Hiscox is not form-fitting, and will accommodate left-hand side-keyed saxes.

The Johnson is heavier and very protective, at least the older ones.
The Johnson is much heavier than a Hiscox.

I found the latches on the Johnson to be unreliable and, after having my sax (in the case) fall from my shoulder on two different occasions, I added those rectangular fasteners who's ends screw into themselves so that they can't come apart. Can't remember what they're called: they're used for camping and hiking equipment. Anyway, since doing that, I've done it for every subsequent carrying strap configuration I've had. (Something to consider.)

The outer dimensions of the Hiscox is a bit more than the other two.
OTOH, the inner storage is more with the Hiscox.
- not a lot, but more.

My choice would be the Hiscox. I never liked them until I had one, LOL. Used it with my Selmer III tenor.

Remember, you'll never know how good Hiscox is until you get rid of your Johnson.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only asked in comparison to a Walt Johnson because I have carried a horn in one of those and it was quite heavy. I have one for my alto as well. Anyhow, I seem to hear the Hiscox come up quite a bit here and was curious. Like I mentioned in another thread, my horn fell while in the bam contour case when the strap came unhooked. I suppose it may have been damaged in any of these cases as well. I have liked the Bam I have, I have felt it was a good case and I thought it kept the horn in better adjustment over time due to the form fitting interior--stuff from basic transporting and knocks while in the case, that sort of thing. I bought the Bam used (from Tim Price I think...), and its the older model with the metal latches which I like. I don't like the newer ones I have seen with the one horizontal black latch or the zipper. ANyhow, I was probably under the mistaken assumption my horn was better protected in the Bam than it was. I am checking out case options to buy a new one though, and I would like it to be a case worth having for hopefully a long time, I think its worth it to invest in a better case. I have a Protech as a spare for a bit while I get the money together, but I don't really like using it as it feels fairly lightweight in comparison. The Bam hitech model looks great, but then again its over $500. Yikes.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Hiscox may look heavy but there not,there a comfy weight to carry about.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a chance to check one of these out tonight, a student had one....very impressive, great case. I can see why everyone is a fan. Glad to have found out about them, this is the case to get for sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,336 Posts
those who made the various comments on the Hiscox weight have perhaps taken into account the fact that there are different models and the more expensive Hiscox are heavier than the cheaper ones......

·
Registered
194 Posts
Can the tenor hiscox fit in a plane's overhead as carry-on?
Yes. Not a problem at all on the bigger planes at least. I flew from Zurich to Atlanta, non-stop, on Delta (the most incompetent airline north of the Congo River....). This was maybe a day or two after the horrible, tragic mass murders in Norway, with security most definitely very much on edge: they'd added yet another security check for all US-bound flights that day. I had my 10M with me in a Liteflite case -- which is a little bit slimmer than the Liteflite Artist, but not by much.

Basically, I followed the advice in that other thread, about flying with tenors: I arrived at the airport as early as possible (also because of the added security measures that I suspected would be there following the attacks), tried to keep my 10M out of sight as best as I could by hanging it from the shoulder opposite of whoever I was talking to at any given moment, and boarded with the very first group, even though I didn't get pre-boarding upon check-in. I just affected a slight limp -- hey, those saxes are heavy things! -- and claimed that I had sustained an injury playing soccer with my godson a couple days before (they didn't need to know that what was hurt was my pride -- but hey, that hurts too, right...??). The gate agents didn't inquire what was in the case; the only person who asked was the woman behind the ticket counter, but only so that she could tie one of those narrow red bands around the handle that they affix to all carry-on bags these days.

This was a flight that was fully booked, overbooked in fact, amidst a lot of uncertainty about terrorism, and it wasn't a problem at all. The Hiscox fit in the overhead bin with plenty room to spare -- but this was a transatlantic flight (can't remember the aircraft type), and my hunch is that the shorter the flight and the smaller the plane, the likelier you are to encounter a problem.

Sorry, didn't mean to detour the thread, but I don't own a Bam case. However, for me, the weight of the case was never a consideration at all: in this situation in particular, where you are taking your tenor on an airplane as carry-on, the LEAST of my worries was the weight.

-j.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts