Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

During my jazz career I have transcribed hundreds of jazz solos, as well as worked my way through many transcriptions done by other people. My biggest complaint with the other guys' work was always the quality and precision of the transcription - there was very little amount of 100% correct work and I had to stop and check with the recording to fix the mistakes and be able to play them correctly.
From that originated my striving to create "bulletproof" transcriptions - pieces that are 99.9% correct, so I (and others) can just enjoy and work on the solo without any interruptions. Thus grew my "perfect" collection.

About a year ago I have decided to share my work with others and published many of the transcriptions on my website. Currently the solos are saved on "scribd.com", the internet library and are free to read through.
(Scribd sometimes screws up the embedded preview a little bit, in that case just download the pdf and there it is all good)
As if that wasn't enough, recently I started giving out my transcriptions for FREE on my site, as my share of supporting the ever-growing community of jazz saxophone fans and "jazz addicts".

So this is how it works:
Every week I will publish a transcription of some of the greatest players in jazz history, and it will be free to download for that whole week.
If you get to it soon enough, it will be yours to enjoy. Afterward, it will get back to the preview mode - you can look through it for free, but no downloads. There are also youtube recordings with the particular solo, so you can browse or play through the solo with the recording playing in the background on the same page.

As I have put a great deal of hours into this work, I also kindly ask for your support - if you like what you see, you can visit some more of my transcriptions (that can be found on my website) and get it for a symbolic dollar as well. If not, you can just read through them on my site and wait for the right one to be "the free transcription of the week" sometime in the near future. In any case, thank you in advance!

Thank you and spread the good word! In case of any comments or feedback, let me know!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Transcription for June 22-28, 2015!

Monday is here and a fter a while, so is this week's transcription, free to download! This time it is a newer solo - by Joshua Redman, from Aaron Goldberg's album Turning Point (1999) - the tune is The Shadow Of Your Smile and is a real masterpiece by Joshua!

You can read through/download the transcription and listen to the recording all at the same time at my site, it will be free during June 22-28, 2015. Enjoy!
http://martinuherek.com/media/transcriptions/joshua-redman-transcriptions/the-shadow-of-your-smile

Past transcriptions that were free to download were:
June 8 - June 14, 2015 - Sonny Rollins - Doxy
May 11 - May 17, 2015 - Dexter Gordon - Just Friends
May 4 - May 10, 2015 - Sonny Rollins - Airegin
April 27-May 3, 2015 - Sonny Rollins - Surrey With A Fringe On Top
April 20-26, 2015 - Coleman Hawkins - I'm In The Mood For Love
April 13-19, 2015 - Dexter Gordon - End Of A Love Affair
April 6-12, 2015 - Sonny Rollins - Soft Shoe

3,315 Posts
Thanks Martin for your generosity.

To help down load the audio into your Media player or iTunes from the Youtube

The following URL can be used to down load the MP3 from the youtube recording. Just copy the Youtube URL into the YOUTUBE MP3 CONVERTOR location and follow the instructions.

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

Thanks again Martin

Monday is here and so is this week's transcription, free to download! This time it is a solo by Sonny Rollins, from his somewhat famous sessions with Art Farmer - the tune is Soft Shoe and was recorded on January 20, 1954.

You can read through/download the transcription and listen to the recording all at the same time at my site, it will be free during April 6-12, 2015. Enjoy!
http://martinuherek.com/media/transcriptions/sonny-rollins-transcriptions/soft-shoe

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks a lot for sharing this ! Cheers from Belgium.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I am very lazy about transcribing so I appreciate when others go to the trouble of notating solos- I like to study them-

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
thank you!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
Thanks, this is really generous of you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dexter Gordon - Just Friends. This time there is no youtube video (none uploaded there, so I can't attach it), but the lines are so pure, that you can just play it yourselves and enjoy it.
If anyone has Dexter's live recordings from Montmartre, the track is there, just look for it!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
471 Posts
Thanks Martin! Greetings from Greece!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts