Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am apart of a group on Facebook that has a weekly Etude thrown out for it's members to practice, record and post on the page. We should do something like that on here! Etudes, Omnibook charts, etc.

What do you think? Would you participate?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I think you'd find better participation if it were monthly - people might want to shed it for a week or two before posting. Since Tune of the Month throws a bone to the jazz players here it might be nice to have this as a companion for our friends on the classical side of the spectrum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,230 Posts
Strangely enough i have been thinking of a very similar idea the last few days. An etude of the month for doublers, because there are many here. A clarinet and/or flute etude would be a good way to keep us pushing ahead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is this related to SML saxophones?
Good call, Bruce...My only excuse is brain fart. I just wanted to do a general discussion board to see if there is interest. Is there a way to move post to another board?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
I asked the moderator to move this thread. By the way, I think the etude challenge is a good idea and would get a lot of interest.

Bruce

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I will move it to the correct sub forum. In the future, to report such issues, please use the little report button (/!\) at the lower left bottom of the post in question. Doing this will alert all of the Admins to the problem, and solicit a quicker response.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
What do you think? Would you participate?
quite possibly.

For me (late beginner) B&I-TOTM is, as TMadness1013, says, B&I jazz improviser - mostly - and I can't yet.

On the other hand, here's a thought. I was scratching round the Lennie Niehaus etudes. I reckon I can do the intermediate ones, but, nonetheless, am 'doing' the beginner ones (I thought, just to get into the style and sound). Although I can 'learn' one in a practice session or two (few hours) with reasonable accuracy for time & notes; it's a great opportunity to focus on tone, attack etc. And there's added value is getting them under the fingers on more than one instrument.
I would also appreciate other styles, I do do some classical, but, really, just about anything.

But the thing is to have material that isn't off putting either because it's too hard or not challenging enough: so maybe Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced as stated by the composers? B-EotM, I-EotM, A-EotM?
There's nothing to stop an Intermediate doing a Beginner etude to, as above, work on nuance or another style/genre etc...

cheers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Whatever encourages people to practice and get better is a great idea. For people slanted toward classical or even big band phrasing the etude a month would be good K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts