Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three greats, three classics, three decades. Please have your picks in by no later than May 16!

1:39 mark- Bobby Keys- 1971

-2:39 mark- Junior Walker- 1981

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Red Prysock is undeniably fantastic, but not so much an R&R solo as an entire song. Absolutely love JrWalker, but this thing with the crap fluff-rock group Foreigner needs to be forgotten. Brown Sugar is one of the most iconic, driving, integral sax solos ever. The solo defines the song and gives back all of the swagger Mick and boys can can muster in spades. The fact it is a bit too quiet in the mix has never seemed to diminish the impact of this solo. It just rocks.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Actually it is precisely because the Brown Sugar sax solo "is a bit too quiet in the mix" that I ignored it. It has no presence — much of it is just a load of muffled repeated notes heard somewhere in the background on the right channel. And this is the "remastered" version of the recording, too !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts
Actually it is precisely because the Brown Sugar sax solo "is a bit too quiet in the mix" that I ignored it. It has no presence — much of it is just a load of muffled repeated notes heard somewhere in the background on the right channel. And this is the "remastered" version of the recording, too !
Spot on for the title of the thread. Keys plays a great lick, but it’s not front and center. Red is playing a sax song, is that the same as a solo ?
I’m still going with Jr.

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
From the three posted in #1 (of course!) Red Prysock (for me without contest).

That first name must be the trick, check out the other Red (Holloway) in "Brother Red":

https://youtu.be/_jbwVC9ut_k?t=20m28s

Not a Rock player, but one who could probably outplay most (if not all) of those in my ears often narrow and bright sounding 'real' Rock tenor players!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,901 Posts
Bloody good band, Bumfunk boy ! And a great BARI solo, too !

The sound of this band reminds me of the Blasters, early 80s version.
Roomful of Blues was a revival jump blues band that got cranked up in the late 70s I believe. Their recording are worth seeking out. Here's another with a nice bari solo (Doug James).

https://youtu.be/KFTTCAHg-_0

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Roomful of Blues was a revival jump blues band that got cranked up in the late 70s I believe. Their recording are worth seeking out. Here's another with a nice bari solo (Doug James).

https://youtu.be/KFTTCAHg-_0
Yes, Doug James is one hell of a bari man. I know Roomful of Blues from more recent line-ups: I found them a bit slick. I'd never listened to their early recordings — gee they were a great band in the 1970s with Duke Robillard fronting them ! Thanks for the links BH9.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know Bobby isn't here to answer your question....But that wasn't him on the recorded version...it was a 15 yr old kid under his wing from AR. He did do the live album version...but the studio version, at Fame studios was not him. I was there....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts