Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Professional Musician
1,377 Posts
There's great gigs and there's lame ones, but wedding gigs are probably the overall best ones you can get (other than joining an orchestra or the such). The atmosphere is good, the money's usually overall decent, and most of all, your actually get paid! So many times I hear from someone, "Yeah, I had a bar gig last night, the manager promised us $600 but only came up with $400! Now I'm totally p***ed! And the crowd totally sucked, I had to watch my step to avoid hitting into drunks!"

Yep, you're better off sticking with the wedding crowd, no matter how lame it can be.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Great, Saxtek. Next time a client insists I poke another sax player in the eye with a sharp stick, you'll be the one I'll call. :?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, after reading Saktek's comments I feel somehow oblidged to offer a rebuttal. When I originally posted this thread, it was meant slightly tongue in cheek, or at least the title was anyhow. The root of my frustration at that particular hour was directly related to what has been posted. I am aware of the realities of the business, perhaps I was just venting--I don't remember exactly but I must have come off as more frustrated than thinking about it now. I appreciate the sentiment--maybe the discussion would have been better served if brought up in a different manner...ultimately I agree with what Saktek posted, and I get his point that these are the realities of the business; didn't mean to offend anyone and apparently people in the business do like to hear about this as this thread hasn't died yet...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts