Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think it’s also worth mentioning, but Philip Glass is also in there. His quartet for saxophone really has become one of the staples of the classical sax quartet’s repertoire...especially after they were recorded by the Rascher Quartet in 2002.

Pretty cool stuff.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,078 Posts
Good. Wayne Shorter is one of the greatest American composers in the whole history of the country. He's also my favorite musician on earth and my number one artistic hero, and I'm far from alone in that. It's great that he's being recognized in this way.

In my opinion he embodies all of the best priorities of an artist: beauty, imagination, and compassion before anything else. He has made my life better simply through his work as an artist but he also seems to be a thoroughly admirable human being, too. A hero, for sure.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I think it’s also worth mentioning, but Philip Glass is also in there. His quartet for saxophone really has become one of the staples of the classical sax quartet’s repertoire
Plus his excellent Melodies for Saxophone, plus "Facades" for two soprano saxophones and strings, not to mention a huge body of work for the Philip Glass Ensemble that includes saxophone parts (Einstein on the Beach, Koyaanisqatsi, Glassworks, etc.).

There is also an interesting link between the two people discussed in this thread. Glass has explained (on one occasion, to me directly) that the use of the soprano saxophone in jazz was an important influence on his decision to make the sax a standard component of his own ensemble. He liked the sound and the energy of guys like Coltrane and Shorter.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Wonderful! He more than deserves it. I love his tenor playing during the "Blue Note Period". I listen to those tracks over and over. And he's a great composer as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts