Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stereophile interviewed Wayne Shorter recently. The interview is a great read. This part blew me away:

KM: Charlie Parker gave you a suitcase. What was in it?

WS: A French governess with Art Blakey's family was sitting on a bench in Central Park. Charlie Parker had just died, and he told her, "Give this to somebody, give this to somebody who you think will deserve it." It was a big paper bag. I met her when I joined Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers—she had held the bag that long. It was 1955 when he died. I got out of the army in '58. She held on to this stuff, and I opened it, and there's a breakable record—a vinyl record—by French saxophonist Marcel Mule, the chord changes to "Blue Skies," and some other music paper, and a big, big violin book. "So Charlie Parker used a violin book," I thought. Then, when I met John Coltrane, he had a harp book, and he would play out of that too.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/wayne-shorter-how-future-would-be#eL5fQpEQuh6Wi5PK.99

·
Registered
521 Posts
"The Genius mind must be fed "Food for Thought". That's one of my quotes for students.

Meaning:
Noun 1. food for thought - anything that provides mental stimulus for thinking.

Great post...thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts