Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I have a Crat Seris 1 small bell tenor 1939,,,,,,all of a sudden I have a sound from my low d that suggest that I have a leak...I took it to my tech today and he says it is fine...can a mpc cause this or my emboucher...I have not practiced much this week but I can get low c and bflat with not to much trouble...It is driving me nuts..????????? any suggestions:? :? :?

Thanks Steve

·
1,034 Posts
Similar thing happened to me with another model. Funny, but as I played the horn, I think I subconsciously compensated for it.

You might try putting something in the bell (mp cap, eraser, etc) Sometimes this solves" the problem.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
I had that problem at one time on my MKVI tenor (never had it on a Buescher). For a long time I thought it was me. I took it in to a couple of techs and no change. Then I finally got it overhauled several years ago and the problem completely went away, never to return. I think it is likely some kind of mechanical problem or a leak of some sort. Maybe have your tech blow it for you and show you that it is "fine."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Could be a slight leak on the low Eb pad BUT I think your low C key is not coming up enough. When the pad is too close to the hole the D (mostly low D) will be stuffy, want to gurggle and often play flat. You may have dented the low C guard or if it has a felt adjusment, it could be hanging down. To ecperiment, put a cork or some rolled up paper under the low C lever to prop it as open as possible. If this helps, shave the felt, cork or whatever adjusts the opening. If the guard is bent, get it fixed. The pad should open more than the main line stack keys of the right hand.

·
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys...it never seems to suprise me when I get the awnser I need from someone here.....Bruce you were right on ..I must have knocked the key gaurd somehow as when I took my horn out at Church this morning I looked at the gaurd and there was the problem...I took the felt out and cut it in half for a quick fix and there you have it.......I guess when I went to the tech in his defense I told him that the Low D was leaking and it was because I had been bending the key around thinking that was where my problem was....so he fixed all the leaks and figured I was the prblem

Thanks Bruce and all else that showed the concern to write

Steve

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
Hey that's great the problem has been cleared up for you hallkat. Very perceptive of Bruce. I actually recall the tech who overhauled my VI saying he raised the key heights a bit for a "bigger sound." I guess that is what fixed the D warble on that horn, also. Good to know.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Could be a slight leak on the low Eb pad BUT I think your low C key is not coming up enough. When the pad is too close to the hole the D (mostly low D) will be stuffy, want to gurggle and often play flat. You may have dented the low C guard or if it has a felt adjusment, it could be hanging down. To ecperiment, put a cork or some rolled up paper under the low C lever to prop it as open as possible. If this helps, shave the felt, cork or whatever adjusts the opening. If the guard is bent, get it fixed. The pad should open more than the main line stack keys of the right hand.
I noticed a stuffy D1 and D2 on a Buesher 156 I got recently. I shaved about a sixteenth inch off the bumper felt on the C and cleared it right up! I was getting ready to delve into the abyss of ligatures and mouthpieces. You saved me from the abyss. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts