Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows what mouthpiece Warren Hill uses on his alto sax? I kind of heard once that he uses a Vandoren Jumbo Java...but still have my doubts, because I bought one of those mouthpieces once and they have a very high baffle, and the sound is extremly bright. Warren's sound has fatness. Maybe he made some modifications on his mp.

Does anyone knows something about this?

Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
I heard a while back that he uses a Vandoren Java A45 or A55, not a Jumbo Java.

Photos are pretty much worthless for looking at; the two pieces look identical on the outside, except for the "Jumbo" marking on the JJ.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
I spoke with him. He told me he uses a mark 6 that he bought when he was 15 years old and a jumbo java a45 in blue.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
About the Jumbo Java being too bright, well, it is bright, yes its. But it can sound fat. I needed time to adjust to it. I really had to apologize to Vandoren because I was desperat with the mp at the begining, I was no beginier...

Now I could not live without mine. It has its years... I use it with Plasticovers 3 and an Optimum Lig with Plate number 1. Sometimes I have used it with a Rovner Light and really sounds fat. Now my saxophone is a Series II... with a Mark VI that I own, too, it sounds very well indeed.

About the saxophone jd is right, he uses a Mark VI.

When I asked him he did not tell me it was a blue A45 Jumbo Java, but how well he uses that piece.

I have digged really into my mouthpiece and really love it. No Tenor has had a chance at altissimo range with my Alto at stage and the harmonics it delivers, well, are Fat....:evil:

Use it. Try it with Javas 3. If you want a fatter tone, really Plasticovers do that trick, instead of brightining the sound, they make it more bluessy... :bluewink: But kind of get soft fast.

The Rovner Light works wonders with this mouthpiece.

All the best,

JI

Does anyone knows what mouthpiece Warren Hill uses on his alto sax? I kind of heard once that he uses a Vandoren Jumbo Java...but still have my doubts, because I bought one of those mouthpieces once and they have a very high baffle, and the sound is extremly bright. Warren's sound has fatness. Maybe he made some modifications on his mp.

Does anyone knows something about this?

Thanks

·
2,234 Posts
jd, you encouraged me to go on with this A45 Jumbo Javas when I was in trouble with my all time Bergs... when they changed the factory from England to Belgium. I was mad... but you helped me through and I remember your comments here on the Forum.

Thanxs for that my friend. Years ago, that was...

JI

I spoke with him. He told me he uses a mark 6 that he bought when he was 15 years old and a jumbo java a45 in blue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the info!

Do you recomend buying the mouthpiece wherever? or there must be a special place or store where you can find them the best shape? I´ve seen in almost everywhere on Amazon at a very low price, about $100. Almost all very well known mouthpieces are a lot more expensive. I wonder why this one (and every other vandoren type actually) are not.

Cheers

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
hey thanks for the kind words.I didnt know that I had any influence on anyone! yea the jumbo javas are great mouthpieces. I still have a few for tenor and alto but I switch around from them. (too much) I like the metal bergs and beechlers and dukoffs too..but people can sound great on jumbo javas for sure!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Perhaps you can also consider or compare with PPT mouthpiece.
I think Ed and Pete only makes the PPT for Tenor and Bari currently.

·
2,234 Posts
Buy it wherever you want. Vandoren has a lot of quality. Now, every mouthpiece changes a little... so I tried 5 of them until I got the one I play on. I have a bunch of them as my reserve, but as we talk of Warren, he also has tried some Jumbo Javas and likes some better than others. Bottom line, you will find a very consistent product there.

For an A45 Jumbo Java take the reed strength pretty much into consideration. For me, 2.5 reeds really does not help, even for the low notes a number 3 is a better option. Being the kind of mouthpiece Vandoren produces with a mid-long palette, this is, facing and I mean not opening, but facing, like the A55 has a long facing, for example, a little harder reed helps a lot for all around performance.

I have experimented a lot with this mouthpiece. For my experience, Java reeds number 3 are the best. I use Platicovers for the sound the give me.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks a lot for the info!

Do you recomend buying the mouthpiece wherever? or there must be a special place or store where you can find them the best shape? I´ve seen in almost everywhere on Amazon at a very low price, about $100. Almost all very well known mouthpieces are a lot more expensive. I wonder why this one (and every other vandoren type actually) are not.

Cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gracias zorroperro por la información. Dices que con cañas numero 3 es mejor para ti? Me sorprende lo fuerte de tu embocadura. La verdad yo me canso muchisimo usando cañas vandoren V16 2.5 con esa boquilla A45, o con cualquiera que tenga un tip opening mayor a 0.080. Estoy pensando seriamente comprar una A35 por esa razon. Tu crees que la A35 por ser un poco mas cerrada ya no suena igual?

·
2,234 Posts
Lets keep it in English so everybody can understand... I have tried A35 and it is very good too. Though, lacks the power of the opening that the A45 has. A45 seems to be it! Perfect balance. A55 is even more powerful, an amazing mouthpiece, but for some kind of music it is too open, if I can explain myself. A45 gives you the perfect control once you tame it. A35 lacks a little of that power. You may find that at the low notes, where the A45 can make the whole saxophone vibrate. The A55 makes it feel like it is going to fall apart!!

About the reeds, the V16 2.5 are great. Now, if you take some time with number 3's your embouchure may develope in a better way for some ranges with the A45. That particular mouthpiece delivers better low notes with a Java 3 reed, a harder reed, once it has been broken in.

I perfectly understand that softer reeds help low notes better. For advanced embouchures and helping them to develope, the precise reed fits the precise mouthpiece. The facing and tip opening of the A45 will clearly accept the number 3 reeds, but take it easy and yes, at the beginning, you will be tired. Once the reeds gets broken in, you are on your way.

Just one more thing, I would not use V16 number 3's. Too thick at the middle. Neither Classic Vandoren Blue Box Number 3's. Javas 3's work for me, Plasticover's 3 (to tear the paint off the walls), Rico Jazz Select 3M work too.

All the best,

JI

Gracias zorroperro por la información. Dices que con cañas numero 3 es mejor para ti? Me sorprende lo fuerte de tu embocadura. La verdad yo me canso muchisimo usando cañas vandoren V16 2.5 con esa boquilla A45, o con cualquiera que tenga un tip opening mayor a 0.080. Estoy pensando seriamente comprar una A35 por esa razon. Tu crees que la A35 por ser un poco mas cerrada ya no suena igual?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts