Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is posted in the right place...

What are the best ways to keep reeds from warping? I've tried everything but they still warp. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Brad

·
Registered
647 Posts

I just rinse them then put 'em in the holder after use. I never see them warp. If they do, I probably toss 'em before that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
Just flatten the back of the reed, whenever warping is suspected ie the reed is causing squeaks and/or air seems to be escaping due to the reed warp on the mouthpiece table.

Not much of the reed material needs to be taken off.

A sharp knife or one of those reed devices on the market can be used.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,285 Posts
Reeds warp. It's just the nature of the beast and not really worth getting too worried about. All it means is that the moisture content isn't equal in the veins and areas between them. If you don't know what the 'veins' are, hold a reed up to the light. They're the darker vertical lines/fibers.

If the reed is a good player you can flatten the back to take care of any warpage that may be happening there. A pocket knife, razor blade or piece of sandpaper on glass will do the job quickly and easily.
If the tip is getting a little wavy just soak it in some water or in your mouth for a couple of minutes, lay it on a flat surface or the table of your mouthpiece, and 'iron' out the wrinkles with your thumb by pressing from the heart to the tip a few times.
Slap it on and away you go.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I find that that the amount of warpage varies. I use my ReedGeek to flatten any transverse warping on the back. If there is a lot flattening of the back that usually affects the reed strength a bit

If the warp continues out to the end of the heart it can sometimes really affect playability. I now use the ATG system to do the vamp and tip. Takes me about 5 minutes to test and adjust initially and then depending on how it progresses I will fine tune after a few days or if there is a noticeable change.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,138 Posts
If the tip is getting a little wavy just soak it in some water or in your mouth for a couple of minutes, lay it on a flat surface or the table of your mouthpiece, and 'iron' out the wrinkles with your thumb by pressing from the heart to the tip a few times.
Slap it on and away you go.
+1. I'm assuming the OP is talking about the 'wavy tip' (Brad, if not, let us know) type of warping. This happens with some reeds but it's not a problem at all if you just get the reed wet and hold it against a flat surface for a few seconds; the mpc table works well for this. And it does help to keep them stored in a reed holder. I just played the past four gigs on a reed whose tip warped every time it dried out. After a brief soak the reed played great (not good, but great) and it's still going strong, even though I rarely get more that four gigs out of any reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,288 Posts
+1 to JL. I was looking for more specifics on what part of the reed was warping. I've never had the butt-end of a reed warp (not that it can't, I've just never experienced it). If it IS the tip, then welcome to the club. Not a problem - a bit of moisture and/or some pressure on the tip takes care of it. DAVE

·
Registered
14 Posts
It does depend on your climate as well - when I was studying in Illinois, I don't recall having any issues with warpage - I'm in a dry environment now and if I don't prep a reed properly, it goes on me quickly. What I do now is play it for 10 minutes and then store it in a ziploc bag with a slightly moist sponge (I use Listerine to moisten the sponge to prevent mildew). I usually go easy on that reed the first few practice sessions.

Sounds like a lot of work but I don't (generally) have reeds give out on me anymore. BTW, by "warping" I mean a reed that appears okay but no longer forms a seal on the mouthpiece (the "pop" test) and is no longer responsive (or even squeaks) - not a wavy tip.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I use the cheap solution now LaVoz plastic reed holder (4 reeds) in a baggie and a bit of sponge soaked in scotch to keep the moisture level up but not wet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts