Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,
My name is Ernesto I played bari for 4 years and am in the top jazz ensemble. and because I use a Yamaha YBS-52 for my bari and a Berg Larsen tip Opening:110 Baffle:2 and SMS Facing. For my setup i need a new reed, I use Alexander New Yorks 3 1/2. These warp within the first week ON THE TIP, I also squeak when playing with these reeds. i was recomended these reeds rom a former teacher. So i need either a different size or a different reed for jazz because i am forced to use Vandoren traditionals for jazz making my tone very dark and different for jazz. please any recommendations will help, and especially if u can answer: do i get thicker/thinner reeds? or What other reed should I use for jazz?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
Use what ever brand/strength/cut that gives you the sound you are looking for.
One of my favorites are Rico Orange box for bari.
Warping is a natural part of using cane reeds. It's not that hard to smooth them out after a short soak or 'suck'. Just lay them on a flat surface and press the warp out from tail to tip with your thumb.
You can even use the table of the mouthpiece to press the warping out.
I'm surprised that your teacher didn't show you how to do this.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,953 Posts
because i am forced to use Vandoren traditionals for jazz making my tone very dark and different for jazz.
Who forces you to use certain reeds?

I agree with bandmommy (as usual) try different reeds and see what works best for you. Nobody here can tell you what will be best, only suggest things to try. And the way these threads usually go, the suggestions will probably cover all the reeds and strengths available!

I use Rico Orange box 3 on baritone, and they do everything I need. Yes they warp a bit, that's what happens to reeds.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I play a metal Berg .110 on baritone and use Bari synthetic reeds. It's a setup I had to learn (over several months) to play, but it works for me, and the only time I have to think about reeds now is about once a year when it's time to stock up again. And yes, I can make it sound good enough to play in professional settings.

That said, you need to try everything you can get your hands on and go with what works for YOU. Just don't be afraid to try something that seems weird, or you might miss out on a good solution to your problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts