Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for the long story:

So here's the story, I'm (hopefully) still in the process of buying saxophone from a foreign seller here on SOTW. I agreed last Thursday to purchase the horn, however asked that I could wait until Saturday so that I could go to the bank (I work longer hours than the bank) to make sure I had enough in my checking account to use my debit card. So this all goes pretty well, and since the only Western Union affiliate to send money within around 10 blocks is a seedy check cashing place, I decide "Hey, why don't I just do this online; I work with computers, this shouldn't be a problem, right?" So I go online line, fill out all the online forms to send the Money Transfer, and after everything is completed, I get the message to call them directly to complete the transfer. Since this is my first money transfer through them, it's a decent size one, and it's to a foreign country I figure "That seems reasonable." So I call them, and the gist of it is that I needed to be able call them with the phone number attached to the card; this is a problem since I'm at school, so they tell me to cancel the Money Transfer, they won't bill me and that I can go to a location to complete the transfer. So I go to my checking account to withdraw the money to send in person, only to find that they've in fact charged my debit card; I call them up, and they reply that it's standard procedure, they just won't collect the money and that it will be reinstated by the bank shortly.

While it's now been four days since I tried sending the money, and the bank says that it will reinstate the funds by tomorrow (I don't have enough without them), however since the money transfer places are closed, I'll have to wait until Thursday to send the money. In the mean time, I've felt terrible leading on this incredibly patient and easy to work with seller. I can't expect him to hold this forever, and frankly, if it were me, I would probably be frustrated if a seller kept leading me on for a week. However I'd really like this horn, and it's not (it least it shouldn't be) a matter of me not having the money; frankly it's really embarrassing to me and surly incredibly irritating to him, as I've always considered myself a honest buyer/seller and have always tried to make everyone happy.

Sorry for the long story, I've just been really frustrated with Western Union and my bank this past weekend, and I wanted to get this off my chest and warn others about using Wester Union online.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
808 Posts
They should not have transferred any funds until all requirements were satified. That means if they required further information, they should not have made any actual money transfer until the information was obtained.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is that the money order was never sent, however the card was still charged before final approval; even though the charge was canceled, it takes a couple days for the money to become available again. I'm kind of frustrated both that they charged the card before final approval, and that customer service said that it wouldn't be charged at all when I canceled the transfer (I was pretty specific about the charge showing up at all, not just about being billed for the charge).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts