Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a BAM SW-0018 swab for my soprano saxophones, because I use and like BAM Trekking cases and BAM mouthpiece pouches. The swab was supposedly designed for straight soprano saxophones. I put the swab in the bell and tried to pull it through the neck but it became firmly lodged in the neck. I had to cut the swab, push it down through the neck with a cross hair (Phillips) screwdriver, and then pull it out through the low D hole, which is now bent and will probably require a $50 repair. Therefore, I lost $13 on the swab and will likely lose $50 for the repair. I would not suggest using the BAM SW-0018 swab for soprano saxophone, unless you cut the swab before using it.
Heath

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
For the neck you'd use something smaller. I use a small handkerchief. To avoid future problems with jammed swabs, you could swab the other direction.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Is your soprano curved? Otherwise I'm missing how you damaged the low D hole...

Swabs for soprano saxophones (I use a BG one) are quite tricky: if not used correctly they tend -as you already know- to get stuck on the octave vent pip inside the upper part of the instrument.
To avoid that you have to put some extra care in inserting the swab without any strange folding.

Using a screwdriver is another bad idea -I've been told- as there is a real risk to damage the octave vent pip. I suppose it will be more than 50$ then.
When the swab was "unlocked" it was probably a good idea to detach the low C and Eb keys (one or two screws totally) and pull the remaining swab through some open tone holes to avoid further damage...

I'm really sorry for you damage, but it looks like you were too much in a hurry to use the swab and to solve the issue...

·
1,596 Posts
a messed up tone hole is gonna cost you more than $50 bucks

·
Registered
156 Posts
What a coincidence is that??
Just read this thread.
20 minutes later I am doing the same mistake! Having twisted foldings in my B&G swap, stuck in my straight soprano :(

Managed to make me something from a coat hang wire with some sharpened little hook at the end.
Could extract the swap through the bell.
Phewww .....

I will keep that wire tool for the future....
It is not the make of the swab, it's the handling

·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a BG swab and it's never been a problem. I'll need to be careful with it, too. Thanks.

·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a straight soprano. I was able to get the lower string of the swab through the D tone hole, then I pulled it out. That's how I bent the D key. I've been using a BG swab for years and haven't had problems with it. The BAM swab was simply too big for my saxophone. The sax that I damaged is my Borgani Jubilee, but I also have a Keilwerth SX90; the BAM swab was too large for either soprano. I should have noticed that it was too big, but BAM should not advertise their swabs for soprano saxophones, when they are too large for them. I'm hoping that the octave vent pip is OK. I need to learn some basic repair techniques such as how to remove the lower stack keys, because that would likely have enabled me to remove the swab without damaging the D key. Thanks.

·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tone hole is OK, JackLi. I bent the D key, so I'm hoping that the price will be around $50.

·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Gange. I usually use a BG swab and I haven't had any trouble with it, but the BAM swabs looked like they were high-quality, so I tried one.

·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
littlewailer, the swab had a sting on each end. I had to push it through the neck until I could reach the lower string, which came out of the low D key hole. While pulling it through the hole, I bent the D key. I made a silly and probably expensive mistake.

·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news. The damage to the low D key was minor and the repair cost less than $30. Thank you all for your comments and advice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
I recommend not using a swab at all.
I agree 100%…swabbing a saxophone is just a waste of time-achieves nothing except to **** you off when it gets jammed in the horn. A beginner mistake.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I recommend not using a swab at all.
Uhmf...
What about the tons of water that remains on the inside of the instrument? If you put the horn on a stand at home it will dry itself, but if it stays in the case it's a different issue.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I have a homemade swab for my soprano, it's just a long and really narrow piece of cloth tied to a string. I run it through the horn to get the moisture out of the neck, then I use a padsaver type swab.

·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A beginner at what, swabbing? :bluewink2:

I've been using swabs for 16 years and haven't had a problem like this previously.

I agree 100%…swabbing a saxophone is just a waste of time-achieves nothing except to **** you off when it gets jammed in the horn. A beginner mistake.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts