Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in people's suggestions for fuller, warmer, perhaps darker sounding mouthpieces for Bb Soprano. Especially if you are into that sound on soprano and have tried at least a few. I know everyone has a different conception but just kind of interested in the broader perspective on it. Been thinking of trying the Drake sos large chamber.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What's your budget look like? I get a pretty dark and warm sound out of my Vandoren V16 piece, but i know it varies on the player.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
FWIW- one thing about achieving a "warm" sound on soprano: don't overblow.

That small thing will warm up just about any soprano sax and mouthpiece.

The soprano doesn't need to be filled up like many tenors in order to speak well. More and faster air brightens up almost any soprano setup.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Budget is probably 300 or so. Haven't tried Vandoren V16 on soprano but thanks for info.

Anyone playing the Drake SOS on a Yani soprano? Just wondering how that piece sounds generally.

Thanks for tip Joe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,321 Posts
Stay pretty closed with the tip opening, don't blow too hard, don't bite down.I prefer a dark vibrant sound and have used the Vandoren S15, Selmer D, Link 5 and others but now find the Yamaha stock plastic to get the job done. Some of the vintage mouthpieces can work well but the tips are often around .040". I stay in the .047-.049" range.
I find a lot of players (mostly tenor) tend to go with really wide tips and end up sounding like a screeching violin up high. Keep the oral cavity open and don't work too hard.
After 50 years, dozens of horns, probably 100 mouthpieces, I have settled on my Conn/Martin sopranos with a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Theo Wanne GAIA. It's higher priced than your range, but I got one here new for a little less than you were looking to spend. I was keeping my eye out for either the Drake or the Wanne. The Wanne popped up first. I don't know how it will go with the Yani, but I love it with my Series II.

·
Registered
471 Posts
When I started back playing soprano a couple of years ago I contacted Joe at Soprano Planet and told him I aspired to that beautiful Branford soprano sound, a la "Eternity". He sent me a Riffault/Vito that he had worked on. Exactly what I wanted! Probably as warm and rich a sound as I'll get on soprano.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would recommend the Soprano Planet Missing Link. I have a Drake SoS and a no name large chamber vintage piece but got a Missing Link from Joe and it is just superb. I wanted a darker piece and did a lot of research before going for the ML. The added advantage with Joes pieces is that he will work with you to give you the sound you are after on the horn you have. Working with Joe was an absolute pleasure and the piece was all I hoped for.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
I've been playing a Vandoren V5 S35 since the early 90's.
I haven't tried that many soprano mouthpieces, but the ones I've played were much brighter sounding.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I also have the Missing Link, and recommend it. But my Riffault is still warmer, although they don't sound all that much different - or at least I don't sound all that different on the two pieces. I would say that the Missing Link has a bit more focus, with a very nice core. The Riffault is almost classical-sounding; IMO there's nothing wrong with that on soprano, even if you're not playing classical music.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
It's all very personal....One person's "warm" may be another's "bright".

I tried a student's Missing Link and I thought it played very well, but too bright for my taste. Same thing with the Gaia that I tried in a pass around.
I hope to be able to try Joe's Metropolitain one day, I understand that it's his darkest mouthpiece.

Some players tend to darken bright pieces and others brighten dark ones (my case).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Anyone playing the Drake SOS on a Yani soprano? Just wondering how that piece sounds generally.
I have a Yanagisawa S991 and used to use a Drake SoS on it. I really liked how it felt but after about two years I still didn't get the sound out of it that I wanted. I also had an old Conn Curvy that was much better suited to the SoS. The SoS was darker for me than say a Meyer but it was also very spread sounding to me. It was easier to back the airstream off though, relating to what Joe said.

I've moved back to a Selmer F that I used for ten years prior. It just feels better to me and I can play pretty dark on it, with the appropriate reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,310 Posts
I'd give Vandoren a try, I use a V5 S25 or a V16 S6, both are very "balanced", and will sound dark with according reeds and playing. The standard Yanagisawa HR mouthpiece is also on a nice dark side, maybe lacking a bit of projection. Most Yani horns come with a #5. These are all mid-budget mouthpieces. Try to give your embouchure some slack.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.