Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,:)
Before playing a warm up is necessary i do know that but the problem is : i dont know what kind of warm up a got to do before i play
so if please can someone name a method or something like that

Thank you [rolleyes]

·
Registered
534 Posts
yes indeed...actually, when a mention scales it also includes arpeggios and thirds intervals exercises...at the least. I wish I did overtones...but my neighbor has complained bout me being too loud a couple of times already.lol

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
For me it depends upon what my plan is for the practice session. If I'm going to be working mostly on tunes and improvising then I warm up with scales, patterns, etc.. If I plan to spend a lot of time working on scales, playing patterns over chords, etc then I often put on some sort of play-along and warm up playing a few tunes. I may also start with long tones and overtones or Klose's exercises as well. Try a few different things and see what feels right to you.

In terms of playing gigs, it isn't always practical to play 15 minutes of long tones and scales before you start playing music. Sometimes you have to just pull the horn out of the case, maybe run a quick chromatic to make sure everything is working, and start playing tunes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tim Price (a excellent contributor here) has an excellant warm up procedure that I use.

To me a a warm up needs to be short and sweet. Just sometime to get my reed, mind and attitude going and working together. After that if I'm working on tone I'll do some long tones. Or if I'm doing scales I do scales. IMHO, scales, tones and chords etc. are exercises and techniques, whatever, to be really focused and worked on; not just "warmed up with". My warm up gives me a minute or two to gather my mental focus to help put me in the correct frame of mind for the reast of the practice. As such, it needs to rather simple. Tim's exercises are just that. They lay a nice foundation for the rest of my practice. I have taught this simple warm up to my students. They can use an abrievated version right before their school band practices.

But that's just me. =)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
yes indeed...actually, when a mention scales it also includes arpeggios and thirds intervals exercises...at the least. I wish I did overtones...but my neighbor has complained bout me being too loud a couple of times already.lol
yeah..there are many kind of neighbors... those who like you and those who don't..ehehe :mrgreen:
i remember one apartment where i lived for two years, where only one neighbor complained.. he called the police... i didn't knew that there where need 3 officers to resolve this matter.. anyway, i'm in a better place now :bluewink:

·
Registered
534 Posts
yeah..there are many kind of neighbors... those who like you and those who don't.
well, they do like me as long as I'm not playing the sax. I usually practice after I get home from work...6pm to 7pm. Weekends I usually do it between 4pm and 6pm. The problem is when their baby daughter takes a nap and I'm practicing. To me that's understandable...for now. lol

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
well, they do like me as long as I'm not playing the sax. I usually practice after I get home from work...6pm to 7pm. Weekends I usually do it between 4pm and 6pm. The problem is when their baby daughter takes a nap and I'm practicing. To me that's understandable...for now. lol
yeah.. and then they will have another :baby: baby..... :mrgreen:

of course i understand them. You need to practice outside your home ehehe :mrgreen:

·
Registered
866 Posts
yeah..there are many kind of neighbors... those who like you and those who don't..ehehe :mrgreen:
i remember one apartment where i lived for two years, where only one neighbor complained.. he called the police... i didn't knew that there where need 3 officers to resolve this matter.. anyway, i'm in a better place now :bluewink:
Perhaps you can consider calling the police when he switchs on TV or when you notice any kind of sound coming from his house.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Perhaps you can consider calling the police when he switchs on TV or when you notice any kind of sound coming from his house.
yeah i know.. neighbors often feel bad when listen same musical instrument but when is they're tv very loud or some stupid music that is ok...because they have grown up with that...anyway calling the police for that is begin a war...no one will win..
but i'm ok now :mrgreen:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
When you start warming up at 3:30am, yeah, that's what happens....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
When you start warming up at 3:30am, yeah, that's what happens....
no when they called the police it wasn 4.30pm... a perfect hour to play long tones...:)

PS. I don't know why you said 3.30am... maybe you had someone doing that with you... but it wasn't me... a think i respect my neighbors a lot... :)

·
8,588 Posts
Umm... well... no... I don't play at 3:30am..... much.

Well sometimes, but not while anyone is listening -- much.

·
8,588 Posts
... and of course, these should be transposed into all 12 keys. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts