Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. I currently play alto and thinking of playing alittle bit of tenor so i want a warm/sweet sounding mp. any suggestions? i currently have a no brand mp on a YTS-23 .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello aviator. I'll give you the advice that was given to me on here last year.

I, too, asked the same question, expecting the answer to be a relatively straightforward one. But as is the case when asking questions on here, the answer is never quite what you expect!!

The answers I was given is that the physical objects you use play very little part in the tone production. What makes a beautiful tone is plenty of practice. Play lots of different types of music, listen to different types of music, play lots of long tones, record yourself, listen back and criticise then play some more music.

In time, you will learn how to make a stunning sound, but only after some hard hard work.

It worked for me, and i'm now on the way to making the mellow, warm, rounded sexy tone that i sought. I've still got a long way to go, but in the past year i've progressed infinitely more than in the past 16 years.

Good luck and have fun playing!

Helen.

PS. I play a Yamaha YTS-32 with non branded mpc. That mpc has carried me through the not-great sound, through to the warm tones i have now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
497 Posts
hellonwheels3 said:
the physical objects you use play very little part in the tone production. What makes a beautiful tone is plenty of practice.
this might be true before you can play but after you learn to get your self out of the way and let the object sing the physical object is 100% the sound.

however the equation is so complex there still is no easy answer. a mouthpiece that plays warm and sweet on one horn might have a shrill buzz on another. a mouthpiece that plays warm and sweet for one person might not sound that way for another person.

one thing that is a constant however is all mouthpieces need a functional facing. unfortunately nearly all new mouthpieces sold today do not have even remotely functional facings.

so you end up just having to find what works for you and your horn, your playing style etc.

it doesn't work to just play lots of new mouthpieces to find one with a functional facing either. the chance one of them has an ok facing by chance is almost nonexistent. like the probability a monkey with a computer might by change type the magna carta.

my vote is for a morgan rubber mouthpiece.
at least it will be good enough for you to learn on.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I am quite happy with a Vandoren metal T55 recently on many tenors. Quite warm.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
baritone said:
I am quite happy with a Vandoren metal T55 recently on many tenors. Quite warm.
I have a t55 and a t75 (blue) Vandoren Java HR (hard rubber) and I would endorse them, they are great and are and will be my pieces for a long long time......well, until the next GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) attack that is! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts