Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

currently looking for a metal (jazz) mouthpiece for my yamaha custom EX alto. I really want something a tad brighter than the meyer I have now, and definitely something with more body and projection. I want a LEAD alto piece. What kinds of experiences have y'all had with different pieces?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,831 Posts
Hey all,

currently looking for a metal (jazz) mouthpiece for my yamaha custom EX alto. I really want something a tad brighter than the meyer I have now, and definitely something with more body and projection. I want a LEAD alto piece. What kinds of experiences have y'all had with different pieces?
The heading states "Warm rich"..so if you want somethings that brighter than you current meyer,im a little confused.
For instance a ESP jody jazz i would consider warm and rich, but it projects nicely also i wouldn,t say it was bright though.
This question is often asked! and there could be a lot of answers, with many opinions.
You can still have a warm/rich lead piece just depends on the sound, if you want a piece a bit brighter than youre meyer, maybe a morgan?.. would be a good choice..ther lots of opnions...lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hah, you're right. I should have been more clear. I'm not looking for a "brighter" piece, really- but I DO want a piece that has loud sound. The rich, dark tone- but with volume.

does this make any more sense? :p

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
hah, you're right. I should have been more clear. I'm not looking for a "brighter" piece, really- but I DO want a piece that has loud sound. The rich, dark tone- but with volume.

Not really, because a Meyer should fit that bill just fine. Though if you just want a new mouthpiece because it's metal well good luck...

·
2,831 Posts

Thanks it does!!..and with me suggesting the morgan ! well thats not metal!!.
As i said lots of thoughts on this from everyone, and you may get asked to check out the threads on mouthpieces!.
Ile stick with the ESP!! and you also have the addition of the spoiler, which will add brightness, to the sound, other wise a runyon quantum! i think would give you thickness in the sound, but would be fine for a lead piece!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Not really, because a Meyer should fit that bill just fine. Though if you just want a new mouthpiece because it's metal well good luck...
My meyer sounds a little bit "stuffy" and kind of limited- to me. Everybody's different. I have tried some metal mouthpieces on tenor, and absolutely loved the effect it had on my sound. But being a poor college student, I'm really just looking for some friendly advice on what everyone else's experiences with different mouthpieces are. I don't want a new mouthpiece "just because it's metal"- I want a metal jazz mouthpiece because of the tone, projection, and color it adds to the sound. So, I just thought I'd see what everyone else has done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

As i said lots of thoughts on this from everyone, and you may get asked to check out the threads on mouthpieces!.
Ile stick with the ESP!! and you also have the addition of the spoiler, which will add brightness, to the sound, other wise a runyon quantum! i think would give you thickness in the sound, but would be fine for a lead piece!
I've heard great things about the jody jazz mouthpieces... but I'm honestly a little skeptical. Thank you for the suggestion :D

I have been all over the mouthpiece threads here, but haven't really found anything that answers my question. The morgan mouthpiece: what is the difference between the protone, vintage, jazz, and excaliber pieces? (I suppose the question I'm really asking here is: which piece gives the biggest, smoothest, darkest sound?)

Thanks again! You've been very helpful :)

·
2,831 Posts

I've heard great things about the jody jazz mouthpieces... but I'm honestly a little skeptical. Thank you for the suggestion :D

I have been all over the mouthpiece threads here, but haven't really found anything that answers my question. The morgan mouthpiece: what is the difference between the protone, vintage, jazz, and excaliber pieces? (I suppose the question I'm really asking here is: which piece gives the biggest, smoothest, darkest sound?)

Thanks again! You've been very helpful :)
i think the best ! view of the morgans would be to read the thread on the gladiator battle of morgan mothpieces! by saxoholic, thats an independant view, but i would say fairly accurate in its description of the pieces, and something that establishes all the aspects of the morgan range!

·
1,404 Posts
SL, you owe it to yourself to read up on Morgans and also take a look at what has been written about the Phil-Tone alto mouthpiece.

I was recently going through my alto mouthpieces--including several Morgans and a Phil-Tone. The Morgans are like really good Meyers with a ton of extra power. The Phil-Tone is more like a good cross between a Meyer and a hard rubber Otto Link TE.

There are other "Meyer-style" alto mpcs designed to give more projection than the modern-day mass-produced Meyers, without sending you into the ultra-bright "fusion" zone of alto tone. These include pieces by Jody Jazz, Ackerman, and a host of others. Based on my experience and in my opinion, the Morgans are among the best of these types of pieces, though there are some other reportedly great pieces in this category that I have yet to try.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
FWIW, I had my Meyer 7M refaced by Phil to 0.075 (Making it a PhilTone Meyer) with a couple of comments that I wanted it to be a lead piece. It totally meets my needs and expectations. Smooth and full when I need it, and still has the power (and edge if you really get on it) to cut through and lead, even over amplified instruments. It's very free blowing. Perhaps consider talking to Phil about your needs and get your Meyer refaced. Totally worked for me.

·
Registered
865 Posts
FWIW, I had my Meyer 7M refaced by Phil to 0.075 (Making it a PhilTone Meyer) with a couple of comments that I wanted it to be a lead piece. It totally meets my needs and expectations. Smooth and full when I need it, and still has the power (and edge if you really get on it) to cut through and lead, even over amplified instruments. It's very free blowing. Perhaps consider talking to Phil about your needs and get your Meyer refaced. Totally worked for me.
+1 PhilTone Meyer

·
3,875 Posts
When I started playing lead there in San Marcos, I remember I tried a Morgan Excalibur, Jody Jazz ESP, Lamberson, and a Doc Tenney blueprinted Meyer 6M. None of them really worked for me. What did was an RPC 90R I got a hold of. Not bright but so much more full and powerful than those other pieces.

After college, I did try a Morgan Jazz. I could hear potential in it but it wasn't for me. I also tried a Jody Jazz HR 6M and a JJ DV7. I like the JJ's on tenor but not so much on alto. Mostly, I've just stuck to the RPC or on occasion, a Vandoren A8M.

Currently, I'm playing on a Mouthpiece Cafe NYC 6. It's a New York Meyer copy. I've finally got that Meyer sound. It's just as loud (if not louder) than my RPC and it's a bit brighter and more characteristic of a modern lead alto sound. It's made by the same guys who now run Morgan. It's probably fairly close to a Morgan Jazz. I still have my Doc Tenney Meyer and I still can't sound good on it, but this Meyer copy does the job.

I haven't played a Phil Tone but I've heard good things and am interested in trying it out as well. It seems to be a bit darker than a typical Meyer type piece.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I also come from a MEyer on alto and at some point found it a bit stuffy and "limited". I tried lots of metal pieces in the last year, because I wanted a bit more volume and edge as the MEyer, but keeping it warm and smooth (for some reason, I began to like metal pieces more). The ones that worked for me are Jody Jazz DV NY and ESP and recently an old Lawton 7*B. Good luck.

Thomas

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you wants a metal mpc for to find a replacement for the Meijer you have to think at buying a STM Otto Link Florida . They are much cheaper for alto than for tenor . For tenor the prices are very high , but for alto it is 50% cheaper than for tenor . The Florida is very beautiful on alto . Also you can buy a cheap modern STM Otto Link 2e hands and let him Floridated in England . It is 110 pound for Floridating a modern STM Otto Link .
The Florida is more bright but dark in the lower register as well . But a beautiful OL Florida alto mpc can be bought for $300 - $350 and maybe cheaper . It is really fantastic .

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
SLady - if you're patient to wait, I've got a Meyer metal I expect back from a refacer soon. I liked the mpc when I got it, but I asked the refacer to "blueprint" it but to also make it a bit darker, fuller and freer blowing. I can let you know how it turned out. Might be what you're looking for. (No not mine, LOL. One like it.)

Regarding price, I've found it pretty price-worthy to find a "blemished" mpc or a "factory second" at a big discount, and then roll the savings into some work by a good refacer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,354 Posts
metal isn't necesarilly louder then HR.
v16 small chamber gets pretty loud. and still warm.

I use a Phil tone. ( his own make , not a refaced meyer) Got it from another member and he decribed it as the darker version of his creation.
works very well on my yamaha custom.
I might change my setup soon, ( another horn on the way possibly and i recently aquired a metal florida link for alto) would you like me to inform you if and when it becomes available ?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Do not expect that metal will give you anything 'extra' in terms of volume or projection or edge. It is more the chamber/baffle design that affects this than the material.

Other points:

Meyer metal mpcs have a totally different design from their hard rubber mpcs. They are not very popular models.

The Otto Link STM (modern version) is a pretty dark sounding mpc, especially the alto model.

I agree with the suggestion to try a Morgan. An Excalibur might do the trick. Also worth trying are a Beechler medium chamber, a V16 medium or small chamber, a Meyer G and a Jody Jazz HR. The Jody Jazz plastic model is a somewhat different beast. Another approach is to get a small Meyer such a 5 (sometimes you had find a good deal one them) and have a good refacer such as Mojo open it up to a 7-8 and ask him to leave some extra baffle.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts