Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
We decided against doing a pass around test due to the custom nature of the neck system. HOWEVER, we are offering a RISK FREE TRIAL to anybody interested in giving the system a try. We had a great response to the necks at the JEN and MIAC shows and want to get as many people as possible a chance to try the neck. If you're interested please PM or email [email protected] and we'll set up the trial.

We also have our new J Series Hard Rubber mouthpieces available for soprano, alto, and tenor. Please check those out as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
First trial systems are out the door. Hopefully the first reviews will be coming soon.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok, so I have had the system for both alto and tenor for a little while now. First thing is first, this neck system is VERY impressive. From a fit and finish standpoint it is flawless. The quality of the machining is the best I've seen on anything saxophone related and the silver plating looks perfect. Surprisingly, the o-rings held the mouthpiece better than any cork as well.

The alto neck was to me a huge improvement over my P. Mauriat Super VI neck in almost every way. The sound had more core and the pitch was very easy to adjust. The different initiators (the tip portion) have a big influence on the sound and I found the larger ones had less resistance too. The CA-48 was perfect for me. It's warm and extremely stable in the extreme dynamics. I could play at a whisper level and have a full sound and then let it rip in big band without a problem. The Flares were also my favorite in the 41 and 45 sizes. If I played lots of pop and rock I would have probably liked the Straight and Arc initiators as well. The tenon was also an interesting thing for me. The guys at Warburton told me to get the tightest fit without using the screw to help, like a flute headjoint. This may be just part of the total package but there is a huge upgrade in terms of resonance and response with the alto neck.

The tenor was even more impressive. The fit and finish looked great as well but the neck pipe itself has a floral pattern engraved on it and looks like a million bucks! The improvements that I experienced on the alto were all magnified on the tenor and the increase in volume and resonance was absolutely huge. I play tenor primarily and have a few horns (Mauriat 66R, Keilwerth, Ref. 36) and this neck improved all of them to the point that going back to the stock necks was disappointing. The different horns needed different initiators to get the feel right but man was it good when I found the right one.

In general my first impressions months ago from the Navy Symposium were all verified this time around. I am buying the tenor system with the correct components for my horns and when finances allow me to I will buy the alto system as well. I hope more guys check this new gear out. It may take a while to find the right setup but I found that time to be very well spent.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I would post audio comparisons if I had decent recording equipment. The recording gear I have would not give a good idea of the sound at all. Warburton sent me the necks as trial without charging upfront for them. I would contact them and get a set to try for yourself; you'll only be out the shipping if you don't like it. That's what I did and I liked it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,905 Posts
Damn, really want to try one on my Mauriat 66 now... wife would kill me for spending $900 on a neck though =O (they just never understand...)

·
Registered
868 Posts
good lawd! sure looks interesting, but 900 bucks, and that with just one initiator? i'm gonna have to pretend that i don't care bout this one. then again, i prolly don't count seeing as i'm just an amateur/hobbyist (since my day job 'prevents' me from being good enough to be pro).

·
Registered
83 Posts
good lawd! sure looks interesting, but 900 bucks, and that with just one initiator? i'm gonna have to pretend that i don't care bout this one. then again, i prolly don't count seeing as i'm just an amateur/hobbyist (since my day job 'prevents' me from being good enough to be pro).
We'd love to have you try it regardless of your skill level. We are currently offering a risk free trial. I wouldn't discount yourself because of being a hobbyist or amateur. The customers that keep the products business alive are the ones like yourself. There are far more amateurs than professionals.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great. David's is the closest full pro sax shop to my home. It's only 286 miles away.
Ouch. I live about 15 minutes from David's shop and never really realized how fortunate I am. David travels to local music conventions (TMEA, TBA, etc.) but I'm not sure how far his scope reaches. Also, Warburton had a booth at TMEA this year where I was able to speak to some of the company workers and test out a variety of necks. Perhaps you could look into local festival/conventions in your area for dealers who carry them. As for my experience with the necks - I hate to be negative, but I found that with these necks, my upper range was nearly a half-step flat as compared to the rest of the horn. Granted, I was playing on a stock set of necks set out for display, so it's hard to tell how accurate a test that was. I think the idea is creative and extremely innovative and would like to see how they revolutionize the saxophone world in time.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ouch. I live about 15 minutes from David's shop and never really realized how fortunate I am. David travels to local music conventions (TMEA, TBA, etc.) but I'm not sure how far his scope reaches. Also, Warburton had a booth at TMEA this year where I was able to speak to some of the company workers and test out a variety of necks. Perhaps you could look into local festival/conventions in your area for dealers who carry them. As for my experience with the necks - I hate to be negative, but I found that with these necks, my upper range was nearly a half-step flat as compared to the rest of the horn. Granted, I was playing on a stock set of necks set out for display, so it's hard to tell how accurate a test that was. I think the idea is creative and extremely innovative and would like to see how they revolutionize the saxophone world in time.
With certain mouthpieces and initiators there will be a volume mismatch and that will cause some pitch issues. If you try the larger interior sizes you would have a better experience with the pitch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know you guys did a clinic here in Boston that I had to miss. Any chance you will be leaving a system at Rayburn's for potential buyers to try out? By the way. Bobby Gallegos says hello.
We'd love to set up Rayburn as a dealer but so far they haven't ordered any neck systems from us. You're more than welcome to take advantage of the risk free trial though.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Does risk free require a deposit?

Also, I tak it that means all stores must purchase a system from you in order to have one on hand for demo? It would seem that the market of Berklee and NEC being right there might offset some of the risk involved. But, I can understand, seems a pretty heavy price to have demos out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
With certain mouthpieces and initiators there will be a volume mismatch and that will cause some pitch issues. If you try the larger interior sizes you would have a better experience with the pitch.
That makes sense - I'm playing on a relatively small classical mouthpiece and I didn't try the neck on my jazz piece. I appreciate the feedback and I'll look forward to trying the necks again at TMEA in February.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does risk free require a deposit?

Also, I tak it that means all stores must purchase a system from you in order to have one on hand for demo? It would seem that the market of Berklee and NEC being right there might offset some of the risk involved. But, I can understand, seems a pretty heavy price to have demos out.
The trial does not require a deposit but we will ask you to pay for shipping. For specific details please PM or email [email protected] or you can call Eric at 407-366-1991.

Yes, a store would have to purchase the neck systems from us to have them in their stores.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually play tested the neck for 2 hours then purchased it. I was very impressed with the sound & feel of the product. The issue I had was that I could not keep it in tune. The intonation would change + & - on any give note, at any given time. I have never had intonation issues before. My Keilwerth SX90R is a fine instrument & never seems to have intonation problems. I spent 2 weeks trying to make it work, both at home & on gig's. Finally, I gave up & returned it. Warburton is a fine company & had no problem refunding my money. I wish it would have worked for me.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts