Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have not played a Warburton, But I did have the O-ring design. It was too squirmy fo rmy preference. I went back to cork, Jmo.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
You know for a bunch of "gee-whiz" stuff, that customizable neck might be a great idea. I wonder how it works. Do they send you a full set of tips and tenons to experiment with and then you send back the ones you don't need? Or do you have to visit a dealer somewhere?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
There is a local dealer in my area, David's Musical Inst. Repair in Carrollton, TX. He has a complete demo kit with case with all the tenons, tips, etc. A really extensive range of choices. I can't imagine this being sent out to individual players for trial. You'll probably have to find a dealer

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd imagine that the neck system try outs would have to be done at a dealer's shop because of the number of options. The o-rings seemed to be a very solid feel to me, much better than cork. I tried all the options available as of the sax symposium and would have placed an order if it were possible. The tip had a very noticeable effect of the sound and feel of the horn and going back to my original neck was a disappointing feeling for sure. Warburton is on to something here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
There is a local dealer in my area, David's Musical Inst. Repair in Carrollton, TX. He has a complete demo kit with case with all the tenons, tips, etc. A really extensive range of choices. I can't imagine this being sent out to individual players for trial. You'll probably have to find a dealer
Great. David's is the closest full pro sax shop to my home. It's only 286 miles away.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Great. David's is the closest full pro sax shop to my home. It's only 286 miles away.
Well it sure is nearer than for us here in Europe!

Not sure that I would want to pay $950 for a self choice neck from what seems to be a "Kit of parts" product - I think I would play safe for that sort of money, and order a bespoke Gloger- but maybe you customers know different?

Blowhard2

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Artisan.
254 Posts
I played the neck as well and was extremely impressed. It is not a "kit of parts" but a system that will let you tweak your tone and response without having to change your mouthpiece. We all should consider this kind of product as a way to add more flexibility to our playing. Warburton is leading the way on this kind of product for sure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I played the system last week as well and was very impressed. Very cool design and ideas from Tim. The sound was a lot livelyer (if that is a word). I am looking for a mangled King Super 20 silversonic with a good neck so I can customize another neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,658 Posts
everything looks very interesting.

I wonder whether it wouldn't be a good idea to sell receivers, along with the tenons because in that way the tenon-receiver system would be perfectly fitting.

I think that this is a typical boutique product but, given all the possible permutations it would be impossible to sell in any other way that at a shop stocked permanently with the complete kit where one could can try , at length, all the possible alterations and then decide what works best for you.

It certainly opens customisation at a different level. It ain't cheap, that's for sure but yet again I think that there would be plenty of people looking for these kind of things, as in most thing in life luxury always sells.

Extra engravings and precious metals would be also a very good addition to the panoply of of musical accessories which I think some of the richer saxophonists would definitely welcome .

The natural evolution of this is a mouthpieces line integrated in the system.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Artisan.
254 Posts
I have had the chance to play this neck quite a bit and I have to say it's not a luxury item but an extremely useful tool for a professional saxophonist. I never know what the next gig I get called for is going to be so having a neck like this helps me adapt to the situation easier and more quickly while allowing me at the same time to use a familiar and comfortable set-up. Did I have to spend some time finding the best parts for me? Of course but it was time well spent and its going to make my life easier. The price shouldn't be an issue if you're a working player and like most of us play all sorts of different styles from gig to gig. The neck will pay for itself in peace of mind and lack of stress.

·
41,658 Posts
Southernsax ,for its marketing sake, it will be a lot better that this neck would be aimed NOT ONLY at the professionals , who are far and few between compared to the armies of amateurs (Of whom I am one) who spend a lot more money and time than anyone else into looking for the illusory gizmo that is going to change your playing and be a talking point with friends (do you think that the majority of the folks on these forum NEED all the equipment that they buy? In particular all of the sound and life changing mouthpieces that must exceed the number of players at least 5 times over?

In this branch, makers have to produce things that hopefully work but that also appeal to a wider public than just the professionals or even accomplished amateurs

·
Banned
2,793 Posts
everything looks very interesting.

I wonder whether it wouldn't be a good idea to sell receivers, along with the tenons because in that way the tenon-receiver system would be perfectly fitting.
I agree, and the tenon should be conical of course. I mentioned this to James Warburton on another forum, but did not get a response. The problem with making the tenon match the body perfectly is, each one must be adjusted for each individual horn.

·
41,658 Posts
I agree, and the tenon should be conical of course. I mentioned this to James Warburton on another forum, but did not get a response. The problem with making the tenon match the body perfectly is, each one must be adjusted for each individual horn.
Oh yes! Most definitely! This could be an area of co-operation or at the very least exchange of experiences between you and Warburton . I think that the conical tenon-receiver arrangement would be great. The Warburton system clearly gives the possibility to do that but also the possibility to have a number of necks just screwing on or of the system always retaining a perfect fit. Moreover one could integrate the mouthpiece " Initiator" to integrally be a part of the mouthpiece design (a bit like the Jim Schmidt idea) allowing an even more versatile combining of mouthpiece , neck , horn.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The system will work nicely.

Patent pending? Ummm. Remember the glass bottles in the chemistry classes, ancient amphores with matching earthenware stoppers or the hydraulic systems in your helicopter, or your Gardena™ gardening tools?

There is not a single part worth patenting.

But then again you can check pat.nr. 6,368,227 and 6,329,919 at the US Patent Office website.
When you stop laughing you can search for the Australian patent on the wheel.

I repeat:

Edit: Integrating the initiator into the mpc leads to issues with finetuning the instrument on the fly, or with adjusting the sideways angle of the mpc in regards to the way you hold the sax (side/front/standing/sitting). Turning your head by 90% because the setup will be in tune at 1/4 of a turn of the screw sounds ... unorthodox. It can be done, but you have to get around some issues there too, making the whole thing more complex than it is at the moment.

·
41,658 Posts
Edit: Integrating the initiator into the mpc leads to issues with finetuning the instrument on the fly, or with adjusting the sideways angle of the mpc in regards to the way you hold the sax (side/front/standing/sitting). Turning your head by 90% because the setup will be in tune at 1/4 of a turn of the screw sounds ... unorthodox. It can be done, but you have to get around some issues there too, making the whole thing more complex than it is at the moment.
I have no doubts that there could be issues with patenting and with complications but I still like the idea.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
The tenon is conical. We found during testing that this played, sounded, and tuned better. We are gathering data about different tenon sizes and we can make any size needed for a perfect fit.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Patent pending? Ummm. Remember the glass bottles in the chemistry classes, ancient amphores with matching earthenware stoppers or the hydraulic systems in your helicopter, or your Gardena™ gardening tools?

There is not a single part worth patenting.

But then again you can check pat.nr. 6,368,227 and 6,329,919 at the US Patent Office website.
When you stop laughing you can search for the Australian patent on the wheel.

I repeat:

The patent process is going forward.
We will be setting up a pass around test very soon. I'd be more than happy to have everyone interested sign up and see first hand how well the system works.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts