Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a review today of the Warburton Modular Tenor Sax Neck. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/04/warburton-modular-sax-neck-system/

This is one of the coolest things I have tried. It's a sax neck that you can screw tenons and initiators (cork side of neck) to. It has rubber rings instead of cork. It works great. I tried 11 different initiators on it and posted my thoughts on them. I liked the RT 49-48 the best. Very close to my SBA neck. A bit thicker sounding in my opinion which I loved. This is a great invention and is a must for anyone with GAS out there............:mrgreen:

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
Wow, really? How big is the receiver on a Rampone?
I'm not sure exactly, but it looks to be about just over 1.14.

At the Musikmesse, Terry took the neck over to Curt to measure exactly. He said he currently has 75 sizes of tenon, but will now need an extra 10!.

He did say he was going to make one for the Rampone. I'm not clear whether that means he just makes a tenon, or whether the whole neck needs to be a larger bore.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That's a ton of money for a neck, but I may well give this a try to see if I can either darken my PB MAC 8 tenor a little, or give more guts and presence to my Reference 36. Thanks for taking the time for your comprehensive reviews!

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
So the various tenons are provided so one will fit your horn, but what do you do if the initiators aren't sized properly to your mouthpiece shank?

[Edit]OK, I got my answer from their website. That's a complicated purchasing process, with two return shipments involved. But it is a neat idea.

·
12,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the various tenons are provided so one will fit your horn, but what do you do if the initiators aren't sized properly to your mouthpiece shank?

[Edit]OK, I got my answer from their website. That's a complicated purchasing process, with two return shipments involved. But it is a neat idea.
It's kind of cool because I used the neck on my SBA and Virtuoso tenor. I just put on a slightly smaller tenon for the Virtuoso and it fit perfectly. The initiator I tried were all 46 which fit the Normal bores of my NY links, Lamberson, Warburton LA............. My mouthpieces that have tighter bores like my Florida links, Sugal, Mark Spencer wouldn't fit the 46. I had one 45 with the package and the fit on that one.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
OK, so based on Mr. Neff's detailed review, I thought I'd try this out for myself.

I received a warburton tenor sax neck in the copper version (for supposedly warmer sound), along with several tenons and initiators (lead-portions) from Eric. The tenons were to enable me to try the Warburton neck system on my PC MAC 8, my Cannonball Stone Series, and my Reference 36. The 94 tenon fit the MAC 8 and Cannonball, the narrower 80 fit the Ref 36.

All I can say is WOW. The Flare-50, and to a lesser extent, the Flare-48 intiators gave me that vintage warm vibe I had been seeking. When playing it back and forth with the stock MAC 8 neck, even my wife, who is not a musician, thought the W neck sounded prettier. The W-flare50 neck removes a touch of murkiness with the stock neck and replaces it with a more warm and complex tone color.

As with Mr. Neff's impression, I thought the "A" initiator would be good for fusion or whatever, but was too bright for my taste, as was the "S" initiator. I also concur with Mr. Neff's enthusiasm about the RT (reverse-taper) initator. It gives the tone some GUTS without adding shrillness. In fact, I decided to keep both the initiators for an extra cost. Seriously, the second intiator gives a different sound with the same mouthpiece, and is smaller in your gig bag than a second mouthpiece.

This set me back a pretty penny, to be sure, but it's worth it. This neck has made my PB MAC 8 even harder to put down, and also made my Stone Series and Ref 36 sound better too. The copper tarnishes like a penny would, but I don't care.

I plan on recording a side-by-side with the stock neck and the Warburton with each of the two initiators sometime soon- and posting it someplace- maybe even in my original review thread on the PB MAC 8.

Thanks for the review, Nefertiti!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I posted a review today of the Warburton Modular Tenor Sax Neck. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/04/warburton-modular-sax-neck-system/

This is one of the coolest things I have tried. It's a sax neck that you can screw tenons and initiators (cork side of neck) to. It has rubber rings instead of cork. It works great. I tried 11 different initiators on it and posted my thoughts on them. I liked the RT 49-48 the best. Very close to my SBA neck. A bit thicker sounding in my opinion which I loved. This is a great invention and is a must for anyone with GAS out there............:mrgreen:
Wow, I'm drooling! This is the coolest thing for a sax that I have ever seen.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I believe some techs do replace cork with a series of rings. I've seen some players with this set-up, and I think Scimonetti (sp?) music in California does this.

·
2,640 Posts
On Warburton's site they say they can make a custom one of these out of a stock neck. That would be pretty cool.
That would be cool. I like you on the RT the best too.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts
On Warburton's site they say they can make a custom one of these out of a stock neck. That would be pretty cool.
I spoke to Terry about that he seemed to think that while they can obviously do it, there is little point. And definitely not a good idea on a prized vintage instrument.

·
12,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spoke to Terry about that he seemed to think that while they can obviously do it, there is little point. And definitely not a good idea on a prized vintage instrument.
I wouldn't do it with my SBA neck but with all the mouthpieces I try it sure would be nice to just change the initiator to fit a mouthpiece rather than recorking the neck every couple months................

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've been using one of these necks for a while now and it is the best money I've spent in a long time. I find that it lets me play a more comfortable mpc/reed combination. The versatility is really great.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
'The number is for the width of the inside diameter of the initiator. 50 stand for .500mm. A SBA tenor neck is around a .50 from what I’ve been told although mine measured a bit larger than that.'

No, it doesn't. In this case, it would be .50" (one-half inch). .50mm is a very small bore, like the little red tube on a spray can. 5mm is less than 1/4" and 50mm is about 2".

Mistakes aside, I think this is a very cool system and probably will be around for awhile.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I know I am very late to this post but I could not find anywhere to post about my positive experience with Warburton necks. I will simply add that I played a few different types and found one that I really liked. I play on a Mark VI Tenor and recently bought a very killer Mark VI tenor neck to match.
I played them at the Midwest Clinic in Chicago Dec. 2011. I met the designer, but of course feel terrible that I cannot remember his name. I also met Eric Falcon, though did not talk to him as much.
At the point where I put my VI neck back on, I was really not happy with it each time. The designer guy joked about how people regularly go back to their normal neck and have a disgusted look on their face. I laughing turned away each time I went back to my VI neck so he could not see my face. I was thinking about letting him take a picture of me while doing this, but decided against it. I did get a picture with him though.
Seems like a very smart guy, and this is a VERY CREATIVE INVENTION! I think everyone should try these necks, (if you can try every option to find the optimal combination)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Thnx for the post, Nef. This neck sounds like it's worth checking out. Looks like I need to pick up some cover band gigs to pay for some G.A.S......day-um....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts