Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried one of these ? They are said to give you a huge full sound with lots of cut and power along with being very air effecient which is what I'm looking for. All I know of them is they are new to Warburton, not even on their website yet, and they are quite pricey at $535. Warburton offers a good trial period though.

Any experiences with one of these ? Thanks fellow bari pickers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
I thought they were only made tenor?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric Falcon of Warburton says they are brand new for bari, and not even pictured on the website. Has anyone tried on of these pieces yet ? Thanks for sharing your experience if so.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Eric Falcon of Warburton says they are brand new for bari, and not even pictured on the website. Has anyone tried on of these pieces yet ? Thanks for sharing your experience if so.
If they are brand new and nobody has seem to have heard of them yet, I think your best bet is to talk to Eric about getting a trial.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I recently spoke to eric about this mouthpiece and determined that I would love to try it but the current pricing has the piece around $530. Quite steep for my pocketbook. Here's what how Eric described the the differences in the mouthpiece designs.

Eric Falcon, Warburton Musical Products -
The 8 degree piece would be similar to a JodyJazz DV and the 12 degree would be similar to the Durga. The 16 degree is big and warm like Harry Carney's sound.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A belated update. After getting the itch again and after a well known dealer told me Warburtons and Drakes are the hot bari mpc's right now I ordered an A Series Silver Plated 8 degree, in a 8 tip opening ( .120 ) for trial. Eric offers a 30 day return. I'll let you folks know how it goes. I plan to play it against my JodyJazz DV7* and keep whichever works better. Yeah, it's pricey, but that's why the good Lord invented CC's and eBay :)

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I have JJDV and DVNY both in 7*. I like the DVNY better overall but I use the DV for funk (TOP) and what not. I'd be interested in the general comparison you come up with between the two- response, intonation, projection, etc...

Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys, not such good results. Basically I just couldn't get the piece to work for me at all, and sent it back. It was VERY reed particular ( tried nearly all I have ), and about the time I thought I had it figured out, wow, I'd get the biggest "Dukoff" squeek you could imagine on the top end. The tone itself was pretty cool, and it had good power and cut, which I want. If I could have just controlled it there may have been possibilities, but my JJDV plays so much smoother and far superior for me. The chamber is very similar to a JJDV but it has more power and edge. The Warburton is one hot mouthpiece, to be sure.

I think it may be that a stainless steel bari pieces just doesn't work for me. I've tried Bergs, a Ponzol, and now this Warburton, and could not get any to work smooth and play with ease and confidence. So lesson learned on SS bari mpcs.

The Warburton piece may be great if you play stainless steel, but I've come to the conclusion I just don't have the chops for that material. Again, we all know how individualistic sax mouthpieces can be, so it may just be my chops guys. Anyway, that's how it went for me. I had to apologize to my JJDV and buy her flowers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds like there was a defect in the mouthpiece. Or maybe just needed more time. I recall when I first got my Lawton stainless steel baritone piece I had difficulty controlling the squeaks, but the sound was so good that I couldn't go back to my hard rubber pieces, so I kept working on it. And now I could never go back! It just blasts the other pieces into a deaf oblivion.
So, I think I'll give it a try this summer, just for the heck of it, since I'm so happy with the new Lawton. You never know...

I've been listening to Steve Neff's mouthpiece reviews on his blog and I seem to always prefer how the Warburton pieces sound above all the others.
Of course, beside the fact that Steve seems to make them all sound good!

·
Registered
542 Posts
You know he has the A series in a hard rubber as well right? I am sure if you wanted you could try that instead. Eric is a really nice guy. If you let him know what was going on he might be able to help you out. Just a thought .... sorry to hear it didn't work out very well for you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
you got a bad facing-i would not blame the stainless steel
I doubt it. The guy making these is one of the best and is very consistent. I didn't think these were stainless... I thought they were brass and then plated. Maybe the baffle was too much for you. I'd try the next step down in terms of baffle.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the great feedback guys...........here's where I'm at presently. Erik and I have conversed today , and I am wrong ( shocking ) on the material, it is not stainless steel, it is silver plated brass. Not sure why I thought it was SS, facts have never been my strongpoint. Erik assures me the facing was good, he does each one himself, and thinks the 8 degree baffle was just too high for me. He's sending me the 12 degree .120 to try instead. Early in this post the 12 degree is compared to a Durga, which I've not blown yet, so I'm pretty excited about the possibilities.

You folks really came to the same conclusion as Erik, no problem with the material, the baffle is just too much, try a step down in baffle. That's what I'll do, and report back. I did like the sound, power, and cut of his piece. And the 12 Degree compares to a Durga, I'm down right giddy again.

Thanks all.........I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I had a similar issue with the JJDV I bought from Westcoastbebop a few months back. It took some different reeds and several hours of playing to get used to it. I wasn't used to a bari piece with so much baffle and it felt a little "chirppy" at first. The guys in the funk band are very happy with the way it sounds though so there's no going back.

·
Registered
102 Posts
OK, this summer I asked the Eric Falcon at Warburton to send me a bunch of pieces to play and choose what I liked. This is what I found:

Baritone:
-Tried the L.A. bari piece and found the sound interesting with a nice low end, but lacking in edge for my needs. I don't go for a crazy bright sound, just something that will allow me to play with a rhythm section without sounding like I'm playing backstage. The rails were not of the same width, and although Eric said it wasn't relevant to the sound, it sort of bummed me out a bit, for a mouthpiece over $500. I sent it back.

-Tried the metal 12 degree A series bari piece and it had the same rail problem. Also same sound problem for me. Just not enough edge. Eric suggested I try the 8 degree model instead. I sent the 12 degree back and tried the 8 degree (rails were perfect) and found it TOO edgy! It chirped terribly and I found I couldn't control it. Comparing it to my Lawton bari piece (7*B) it lacked body and focus. I sent it back.

Tenor:
-Tried the metal tenor 12 degree and found it nice, but a bit to closed sounding for me. He sent me the 8 degree model and I bought it. Very nice and powerful. Sound comes right out with very little resistance and it really punches and still has nice body.

Alto:
-Tried the A series metal 12 degree and found it too bright and chirpy. Especially comparing it to the J and D models Eric sent me. These were very good, especially the D (Dark) model! I bought it. It isn't as dark as you would think, with a name like that, but it is a bit darker than the J model. It sounds very focused and seems to have a perfect balance of highs, mids and lows. I love it. Sent the J and A series back.

Soprano:
-Tried the D series soprano piece and liked it a lot. Bought it.

I took most of these pieces to my refacer friend Norbert Stachel in NYC and he looked at the facings. Most were pretty good (a subjective art that of refacing) but I still think the chirping problems must be a facing problem. My Lawton, on the other hand was horrible! Not even, bad finishing, etc. After we worked on it for about and hour and a half it played SO much easier! This is my main Baritone piece and it was really good before, but fantastic now. Nice warm punchy pleasant sound. Before the refacing I was working way too hard to control it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts