Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you go to http://soundcloud.com/andy-bowie
there are 3 tracks - a somewhat flawed Countdown, Autumn in New York, and Beatrice from a live gig on the Warburton LA. I was very pleased indeed with it for a first outing (excuse the live gig flaws). I put these tracks up because they illustrate the qualities of the mouthpiece quite well: it has a very fast response, a lovely fat sound, and a lot of power. I think this is now my main mouthpiece, and I have plenty of good ones! The acoustic of the pub is quite edgy, which may make the mouthpiece sound slightly brighter than it would in other contexts.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Wow. I loved it -- especially on Autumn In New York. Great playing, too. What reed were you using? The Warburton L.A. Tenor is the real deal. I've had one for awhile now, and I've never played anything quite like it. Big, clear, open, and free. Easy and fun to play, too. Plus, I find the wider size to be very comfortable in my mouth. I'm down to two mouthpieces now, and the L.A. Tenor is one of them.

Well done!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks: I wasn't fishing for compliments, but it's nice to get them anyway: made my day! I just wanted to show how great the LA is. I was using Red Java 2.5, which I scrape quite a bit: I play pretty soft reeds all the time. I am going to try Rigotti Gold, I think, as recent Red Javas have been rock hard.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Sounds very nice!

The Warburton Floridized link has been giving me GAS for a while now! I don't suppose you've had a chance to try those? FWIW: what mouthpiece were you using on Some Other Blues?

Re: soft reeds. I really like playing/practicing on soft reeds too. I always find, however, that I don't get enough "cut" in a live setting. I find this really frustrating!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't tried the Link, though I'm tempted, and I have ordered a HR J Warburton, which are very reasonably priced. The MP on Some Other Blues is the Aizen: I love the tone, but I struggle sometimes for volume (all the MPs are detailed if you click the title of the tune) - if I'm playing a lot the Aizen is reasonably powerful, but I don't play a lot most of the time, alas. The LA seems a good match of power and tone. If I use harder reeds I just get no response and get exhausted: I never cease to be amazed at how different peoples' ability to play hard reeds is!

·
4,578 Posts
I have one of Eric's "Floridized" Links, they're just as good as you probably think they are.

·
6,862 Posts
I haven't tried the Link, though I'm tempted, and I have ordered a HR J Warburton, which are very reasonably priced. The MP on Some Other Blues is the Aizen: I love the tone, but I struggle sometimes for volume (all the MPs are detailed if you click the title of the tune) - if I'm playing a lot the Aizen is reasonably powerful, but I don't play a lot most of the time, alas. The LA seems a good match of power and tone. If I use harder reeds I just get no response and get exhausted: I never cease to be amazed at how different peoples' ability to play hard reeds is!
Cool! Thanks. I didn't notice those other links. IMO the Warburton really stands out on Autumn. I can sure see why you like it! This is a great way to do a MP comparison, I think! The Aizen alto piece sounds great, BTW. Really really nice!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have one of Eric's "Floridized" Links, they're just as good as you probably think they are.
Don't say that! I've got too many mouthpieces already. But, to be clear: I'm not looking for the Holy Grail, I just love the different sounds I can get.

·
6,862 Posts
Don't say that! I've got too many mouthpieces already. But, to be clear: I'm not looking for the Holy Grail, I just love the different sounds I can get.
I thought about getting the Holy Grail, but it's a .110, which is way too open for me.

This thread should have a GAS Warning attached! :0

·
4,578 Posts
I'd get a recording of myself playing the WB Link but I'm afraid my average playing won't really tell you all very much. They're very easy to play, reed friendly, and on the darker end of the spectrum but still project well. If you've played a Barone Jazz they're similar, but the Jazz is bit brighter.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've posted this on a separate thread, but in case you are interested. I was so knocked out by the Warburton LA, that I thought I'd indulge myself with a Warburton J.
http://soundcloud.com/andy-bowie
The two tracks are the first two on Soundcloud, Bernie's Tune, and Imagination. This was a first outing, and I'm just getting used to the mouthpiece and which reeds to use. It is not quite as easy blowing as the LA and needs a bit more support, but, to be honest, I don't know which I prefer. They are now my favourite mouthpieces.

·
2,960 Posts
nice playing but it sounds too much like a link to me. i would rather hear some personal color to your tone rather than sound like every link -mk6 cat who ever lived

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nice playing but it sounds too much like a link to me. i would rather hear some personal color to your tone rather than sound like every link -mk6 cat who ever lived
Do you mean the Warburton J, or the LA recordings? The J is very Linkish, and I like it. It's a Ref 54, by the way.

·
1,596 Posts
tell that too Coltrane, Early Rollins, Dexter, Getz, Ralph Moore, George Coleman, Joshua Redman, Eric Alexander, Chris Potter, and Rick Margitza, Early Lovano. They all had unique sounds man, each and every single one of them.

·
2,960 Posts
well i was close- ref 54 is supposed to be an updated mk6 after all.getz played a rubber link and no one can argue he had a personal sound.

·
6,862 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually don't get what superdan means: the Link sound is based precisely on the way you colour the note more, because you have to do more work with embouchure and breath support. If superdan would like to characterise what makes all the Link players the same, I might understand.

·
6,862 Posts
I actually don't get what superdan means: the Link sound is based precisely on the way you colour the note more, because you have to do more work with embouchure and breath support. If superdan would like to characterise what makes all the Link players the same, I might understand.
Neither do I...I was just musing on "no one can argue"...sorry. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts