Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I thought I make this thread directly to do with Eric Falcon's Warburton J tenor saxophone mouthpiece (I believe it was made back in 2009/2010). I found NOS ones at Brass and Woodwind, in Victoria BC, Canada. I sent the link to Eric and he confirmed it was his work. It has a golden looking ring on the Shank. The mouthpiece arrived yesterday. First I tried it with Rigotti Gold 2 1/2 reed and Selmer two screw ligature and the sound had too much projection for my taste. Then I used Alexander Superial #3 with Francois Louis ligature and it was just perfect. Alexander Superial creates a good combination of openness high frequency vibrancy, and some fatness and core, and Francois Louis's ligature although may sound taking away some of the core and centeredness of wrapped around brass ring designs (like Selmer two screw) but in this case for this mouthpiece it loosened up the sound and took away some of that extra spike and tamed the sound and created a warm yet vibrant sound with just enough centredness that makes it lyrical. With this setup it has a beautiful sounding core, lushness when needed when played soft or with subtones and enough presence and high frequency buzz to have a lot of expression. If I push it, I can make it sound more buzzy and wild for other styles as well.

I read and listened carefully to Steve Neff's review and sound clips and I'm glad that it was a good decision.
I have 3 other hand finished hard rubber pieces sort of in that tip opening, but this one plays well easily and steadily on all registers yet having a nice sounding core.
So I think it will become my main mouthpiece :)

Thanks to Eric for designing this and confirming the design. I was lucky to find an NOS one as well 馃憤馃徏.

Arya44

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
I tried a few of the pieces Don has at the shop for another member here. The piece he was interested played really well but we weren't sure whether or not they were faced by Eric or not.

They all played really well though. I may have even tried out the one you ended up buying.

I think they are great for the price. I've been playing my metal 12 degree .110 for two full years now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I tried a few of the pieces Don has at the shop for another member here. The piece he was interested played really well but we weren't sure whether or not they were faced by Eric or not.

They all played really well though. I may have even tried out the one you ended up buying.

I think they are great for the price. I've been playing my metal 12 degree .110 for two full years now.
Thanks for pointing out. Good to know 馃憤馃徏.

Registered
I tried some of his mouthpieces years ago at a JEN convention and was thoroughly unimpressed. Maybe he鈥檚 gotten better.
The problem is I was comparing them to the good Link I play. I was thinking that most newer makers go for the 鈥渂right Link鈥 thing and his was dull and hard to play. The newer guys rarely have anything smaller than a 7* (I鈥檒l never understand how that came about).
To each his own

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I tried some of his mouthpieces years ago at a JEN convention and was thoroughly unimpressed. Maybe he鈥檚 gotten better.
The problem is I was comparing them to the good Link I play. I was thinking that most newer makers go for the 鈥渂right Link鈥 thing and his was dull and hard to play. The newer guys rarely have anything smaller than a 7* (I鈥檒l never understand how that came about).
To each his own
Don't know what happened with your case but I've seen a few mouthpieces that came my way and I allowed my first impression takes over and didn't wait long enough to get used to it and find the right reed / ligature, and I sold it or returned it. Later I came across it again and I couldn't believe the difference of my experiences. Also I don't know if our jaw, embouchure shape, and where we grab to the mouthpiece beak makes a difference. Some people feel totally comfortable with more beak in the mouth and some are opposite. Probably there is a notion of optimal zone on the beak based on the facing curve and reed cut. Also I normally don't feel comfortable with the tall beaks since mostly I got used to the metal mouthpieces so naturally I avoid a lot of beak insertion. This may play a role in finding some mouthpieces speak to me easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts