Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for data concerning what causes certain saxophones to "warble" on low notes while others do not. I would like readers of this thread to share the make and model of your saxophone that warbles along with which note or notes this occurs on and what mouthpiece is being used when it takes place.

I am also collecting recordings of warbles to slow down and study the harmonic "footprint" of the warbling note as it is taking place. Any other information such as mouthpiece placement, reed strength, etc would also be helpful as well as any "home remedies" that seem to help.

If there is anyone who plays saxophone and has a degree in physics or has a science or math background and has studied Benade's writings, I would love to discuss my ideas and theories with you to see if I am on the right track.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for that link. It will take me a while to read and digest the information. Unfortunately it is true that on the lowest 4 notes of the saxophone the fundamental is the weakest. It does not require any leaks. If I remember correctly it is because being so close to the bell opening the resonance of the lower portion of the tube is not as strong, but I will have to look that up.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Dirk. Thank you for that input and the link to the study. We share the same hypothesis as to the cause of the warble. This is a link to a video presentation I made showing the "battle" of the overtones that are out of tune with one another to take over the "regime of oscillation" as Benade calls it. The warble was created on a C-melody saxophone playing low C. It was recorded and put into slow motion. Snapshots of the spectograph was made at several fractions of a second and then put together like drawings in a cartoon and then sped up to give the motion in time. A stronger fundamental would make them behave and get in line with its own pitch, but being without power it is helpless.

[video]https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos[/video]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts