Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for data concerning what causes certain saxophones to "warble" on low notes while others do not. I would like readers of this thread to share the make and model of your saxophone that warbles along with which note or notes this occurs on and what mouthpiece is being used when it takes place.

I am also collecting recordings of warbles to slow down and study the harmonic "footprint" of the warbling note as it is taking place. Any other information such as mouthpiece placement, reed strength, etc would also be helpful as well as any "home remedies" that seem to help.

If there is anyone who plays saxophone and has a degree in physics or has a science or math background and has studied Benade's writings, I would love to discuss my ideas and theories with you to see if I am on the right track.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Well, I will be the first:

Conn 10M, 310894. Uncurable warble worst on low D, but could make it happen from low F on down. Carefully confirmed it was not due to:

mouthpiece design or position on the neck
leaks in pads
or leaks at the tenon.

By contrast, I have a Conn 10M 331486 that does not do it, under any circumstances I've encountered. Note that the "good" 10M has a non original, but Conn, neck.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series.
Any mouthpiece--I have a Rousseau, Selmer, Vandoren, and Meyer.
Warbles on low B, C, and Eb.
Putting something in the bow sometimes helped for a few minutes, but it never lasted.
Pushing in to the point where the instrument was extremely sharp helped somewhat, but didn't cure it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
On low notes I usually find it's the mouthpiece not for enough on. I've not found a cork to work, though heard this many times.
Most often I find it is the low Eb opening. Making sure it seals and the spring is strong enough stops it.
It can be caused by leaks elsewhere or sometime weak spring on other keys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
588 Posts
My Ref 54 Alto warbles on low C when the mouthpiece is too far out.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts
My 1928 chu berry alto was the worst motorboater in the fleet.

Hints of trouble at low D, and every note below that was a worry, with Bb the worst of all.

After 4 trips to the tech it is now rock solid down low, as good as any ... REALLY good.

A favorite low end player.

It is very difficult to get the neck on --- tech did a lot of work there, along with other stuff I do not recall.

What a relief to get the horn where it should be.

[the old "wine cork dropped down the bell trick" worked pretty well, but for some reason I hate that]

I do not recall that any mpc altered the chug a lug lug lug blug stuff while that was going on.

Blowing really hard and dropping the wine cork in were the work-arounds.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My MVI warbled on low C#. When I was getting it appraised at Tenor Madness Randy Jones noted that the C# key did not open far enough. He gave it a tweak and problem gone. I have notice that on my horn if the pads are set to low on the right hand stack or bell the notes can become unstable. I have had to have them set higher twice after repads.
Note : I bought this horn new in 1971.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,731 Posts
Interestingly enough I have a YAS 23 that has either a low C or D warble. It is six years old and had a total of maybe eight hours on it. I knew the student who purchased it new and after a month quit. So basically it’s a brand new OE Sax. Took it to tech for once over and we had nasty warble down low on his ?? Bench MPC. Will find out what MPC/reed# he uses. We changed one pad, no go! Tossed some junk Mouthpiece cover into it went away. Changed other pad, no go. Grabbed Yamaha 4c MPC from case...no go! #3 reed changed to #2 (from case) bang! That did it👍. Took it home and it all came back. Fix didn’t last an hour. And that’s all matching OE factory gear with the exception of the Reed. Just a cheerful student Yamaha. Haven’t touched it since last August. Just put it back in the case and move on. Due to recent surgery I can’t play for another week. when I can I’ll let you know. Now I’m curious

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well, I will be the first:

Conn 10M, 310894. Uncurable warble worst on low D, but could make it happen from low F on down. Carefully confirmed it was not due to:

mouthpiece design or position on the neck
leaks in pads
or leaks at the tenon.

By contrast, I have a Conn 10M 331486 that does not do it, under any circumstances I've encountered. Note that the "good" 10M has a non original, but Conn, neck.
I have the same experience. I have a 1940 10M tenor that warbles on low D and low Eb. I can sometimes get it to warble on low E as well. I have had this horn checked by more than one technician and it does not have leaks. I have tried many mouthpieces on it and the mouthpiece does not matter. It goes away if I push way in so I am super sharp but I cannot comfortably play loose enough to be in tune at this position on the cork. It is super frustrating. My 1926 Chu tenor pretty much does not warble but on occasion on low D I can feel the note wanting to become unstable. The Chu is way better than the 10M when it comes to the warble, I basically can ignore it on the Chu. None of my other horns have a warble.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Mark VI alto (which I no longer have), serial number in the 144K range. Warbled on low B, occasionally, I'm not sure what caused it. This happened even after a complete overhaul by Emilio Lyon in the summer of 1972. A wine cork in the bow fixed it. I kept a wine cork in the case for this purpose, and used it when necessary. I don't remember if a mouthpiece change fixed it or not - I do know that I used Wagner, Meyer and Link mouthpieces while I had the horn. I sold the horn in 1976, so memories are kinda dim...

I believe that this was common in these instruments. When I sold it, I bought an SBA which does not warble :)

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
I see one reference to the New Wonder Conn tenors above, but would like to know if it's a general consensus that these are less prone to this problem than the 10M?

This is indeed "the 10M's dirty little secret" - how prone they are to having this problem. I believe it's much more so than other makes of tenor.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I see one reference to the New Wonder Conn tenors above, but would like to know if it's a general consensus that these are less prone to this problem than the 10M?

This is indeed "the 10M's dirty little secret" - how prone they are to having this problem. I believe it's much more so than other makes of tenor.
I agree with you 100%. I have this issue on the 10M, to a much lesser extent on a Chu tenor, and not at all on any Mark VI tenor I have played, Martin Committee III, Buescher Top Hat and Cane, King Super 20, etc...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts