Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 15mins playing time, my soprano gets a warble in lower register notes. I can’t see anything with leak light...any thoughts as to what’s causing this and how to fix?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
After about 15mins playing time, my soprano gets a warble in lower register notes. I can’t see anything with leak light...any thoughts as to what’s causing this and how to fix?
Primary things to check:
Bad reed, or leaking, swelling reed
leaking neck cork
leaking neck joint
swelling or shifting pad/keys

Just went thru a come-n-go leak warble, that similarly would show up after some play time, I checked off the first issues, ended up taking to the shop. They were eyeing a G# pad when I took it in. I pick it up this week.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,455 Posts
Check regulation of G# - check to see if it moves when fingering any part of the table keys, then check for closing with each lower stack key. Check regulation of low C# - the low B has to hold it down, plus it should close firmly enough that it won't vibrate/blow open. Check regulation of low B - most likely it will close nicely alone, but see if it leaks when fingering low Bb. If it does, the tabs under the table keys need tweaking.
Chances are you will find a leak in one or more of those areas. Another thing you can do is to 'cork down' the Eb and C keys, one at a time, then play to see what happens. If it doesn't change the problem, they aren't part of the problem. If it does improve, they are.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
I have found that just because you do not see a leak with a leak light, it does not mean that you will not leak when you put an airstream through the horn. After the warble starts, put the leak light down and look for leaks at the locations noted by 1saxman above. Also, look to see if the pads are closing at the same time around the periphery of the tone holes. If any pads shows light until just before the pad fully closes, it can be a leaker.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
There are three common causes.

1) A leak. This can be surprisingly hard to find. You may also not realize it and be slightly touching a key (like a side or palm key) and just enough to occasionally crack it open. There can also be intermittent leaks and normally-closed pads that blow open.

2) Mouthpiece in a position far away from its ideal (usually it's pulled too far out; most sopranos I've played you have to push a lot further onto the cork than on alto or tenor).

3) Playing position. My opinion, despite the large number of fine player who do it differently, is that the soprano sax works best when you play it more or less straight out from you (I'm assuming we're talking about a straight soprano here). Then the mouthpiece addresses the embouchure at a similar angle to the alto tenor or baritone. I find that weak or difficult low register response gets a lot better when I hold the horn up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,017 Posts
I can’t see anything with leak light...
What sort of leak light? Is the soprano straight or curved? I picked up a soprano recently that need just a bit of work and finding the leaks up top were tough without crafting a proper leak light. Once found and fixed, the horn played great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts