Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a YAS 61 alto sax in 1975, haven't played it for a very long time, took pictures to sell it and 2 key buttons are missing. How the heck does that happen? I should have it overhauled but prefer to discount to a new owner so they can overhaul. I am open to any comments or advice.
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,054 Posts
Assuming it's just the pearls that fell off, you could just buy a couple (e.g., from MusicMedic) and replace them yourself.
I've done this in the past and it was pretty easy.

It's not uncommon for pearls to crack or fall off of well-used horns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply mmichel. I was going to do just that, but then it seemed as if there would be some crimping involved and I was afraid that was beyond me. Can you or anyone point me to a tutorial on how to replace key buttons on a beautiful YAS 61? Thanks much! Oh, let me see if I can attach a pic. The keys involved would be the front F and the bis key.

View attachment 254628

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,054 Posts
There's actually a tutorial right on the MusicMedic site. Note that you can use cyanoacrylate (i.e., SuperGlue) instead of epoxy.

As you can see in the tutorial, the tough part for crimp-style pearl holders is usually removing the pearl without damaging the holder. Assuming you've got the correct size, the replacement pearl should just pop in.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Did you check the case for them? It appears that they just fell off. I had one fall off my soprano and I just super glued it back on. Very easy.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The oval G# pearl fell my alto. I had found the pearl on the floor and didn’t realize what it was at first. I don’t play the alto often. When I noticed it was gone I had to search my memory for where I had put it. Luckily I didn’t just toss it in the trash. I just used general purpose adhesive, like clear model airplane glue. Still holding a year later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts