Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided I'm going to start on clarinet, and am dead set on getting a Yamaha student clarinet.

(I have some money to pay for one in a few days, I hope, I can trade stuff for one too)

Eventually I want to play the SOPRANO sax, I know, it's the hardest one! So this is one reason I want to do clarinet first.

The other reason is, I'm really broke, made $1500 all last YEAR to give an idea, I'm adapted to living on very little, but student clarinets are supposedly easily obtained cheaply.

The truth is, I have a WANTED on my local Craig's List, have emailed some people who have ads on, and so far no soap.

So if anyone here has a nice Yamaha student horn, feel like selling it? Can I ask that here?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Why not just get a Soprano if that is what you want to play? I think the whole it being harder thing is a tad over-hyped. Play what you want to play.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I like that, but, frankly, $150 or so for a student Yamaha horn will just about exhaust my finances. Soprano saxes are expensive!

It's been raining cats and dogs here but I may check a music store up the road in Morgan Hill, they seem to have boocoo clarinet parts maybe they have something I can afford. Although I won't have any money until Monday.

I've put an ad on the section here for buying and selling, it's not easy to find but I found it.

I do want to learn formally if I can, but I will have to become a fairly successful busker to afford lessons. Kinda backwards.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Well, I like that, but, frankly, $150 or so for a student Yamaha horn will just about exhaust my finances. Soprano saxes are expensive!

It's been raining cats and dogs here but I may check a music store up the road in Morgan Hill, they seem to have boocoo clarinet parts maybe they have something I can afford. Although I won't have any money until Monday.

I've put an ad on the section here for buying and selling, it's not easy to find but I found it.

I do want to learn formally if I can, but I will have to become a fairly successful busker to afford lessons. Kinda backwards.
Um...get a job? My Soprano is a 'chinese' model that cost $300 new (Canadian) and it's killer.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
I recently bought a fabulous Vito Resotone 3 (a LeBlanc really) on eBay in the US for $52. In my opinion it's a better horn than my 2 Yamaha student models (C100). It cost me more to get it posted to Australia. I believe the US, because of its enormous music in schools program, is awash with Vito plastic clarinets. But DO play it for its own sake. It won't help you with soprano at all and if you learn to play it properly it might even be a little less than helpful when it comes to achieving the correct soprano saxophone embouchure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, get a job, let me just run right out and do that, I never thought of that. No problem.

OK sarcasm aside .... I do think the clarinet has its own virtues and I like its sound. I've heard those Vitos can be pretty good. Back when I had a teacher (and a job, and a car, and ......) years ago my teacher said so.

I may be best off treating this site as a read-only site and just muddle around locally looking for a clarinet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
I agree with PatMiller on both counts. Clarinet will not help with later soprano sax playing. But, clarinets are fun, so go for it. Get a sax later.

And i would not restrict myself to Yamahas. Stick to the big names like Vito, Buffet, Evette, Leblanc. Not sure about Selmer USA. And stay far, far away from fly-by-night Chinese brands.

I have a couple of decent student horns here somewhere. I will try to dig them up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess clarinet is NOT as much as help for sax as I originally thought. Still, I like the clarinet. There's a wooden Evette on Craig's List right now but I live in pretty rustic conditions and because of this I specifically do NOT want a wooden horn.

There are tons of student horns around, Vitos indeed are especially plentiful. My local music store would be Music Tree in Morgan Hill and they seem to have a ton of accessories like reeds, mouthpieces, ligatures etc. They don't list actual clarinets for sale on their page, probably just too much hassle to deal with, but they may prove quite helpful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently bought a fabulous Vito Resotone 3 (a LeBlanc really) on eBay in the US for $52. In my opinion it's a better horn than my 2 Yamaha student models (C100). It cost me more to get it posted to Australia. I believe the US, because of its enormous music in schools program, is awash with Vito plastic clarinets. But DO play it for its own sake. It won't help you with soprano at all and if you learn to play it properly it might even be a little less than helpful when it comes to achieving the correct soprano saxophone embouchure.
Vito are probably the best clarinet for your price range. I actually like it better than yamaha and so did a few other people i sold it to. Save the money for a mouthpiece, maybe debut, vandoren, portnoy, combs. You can get used mouthpiece for a lot cheaper if you dont mind it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
debut cost like 20-30 dollars, you can pick up a playing vito from 50-150 on ebay or off others. Great choice you wont regret it. If you do find a couple see if you can find a 7214 one, i like those model better, you should give it a try.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been emailing Craig's List sellers but no one wants to sell anything, just like no one's buying these days. I don't do Ebay, I only do cash, face to face. The good part is, a local music store in Morgan Hill has quite a few used clarinets and a lot of mouthpieces etc and I'm going to go over there tomorrow to have a look and probably make a deal. It'll cost more than a Craig's List horn but will be all gone through and I can expect some kind of help if something major goes wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got one from that music store in Morgan Hill. And a book, and reeds, and one of those little reed holders because it will be very entertaining, like a puzzle, to figure out how it opens!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

·
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,542 Posts
I think clarinet will help you with sax later. It's not exactly the same, but many of the fingerings are similar or the same. You will also get used to supporting your sound with the diaphram and breathing correctly. The clarinet is also quieter than the sax making it more palatable to your neighbors. Finally, it has a bigger range and is easier to carry around than a sax, even a soprano.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
I said it before, but the clarinet is worth learning for its own sake. But putting that aside, I believe there are many synergies as mentioned by soybean. I started on clarinet and took to the saxophone like a duck to water after a couple of years on clarinet.

There are sharp points of difference between the two, like in the classically correct tight clarinet embouchure vs the looser saxophone embouchure, and the overblowing of a twelfth rather than an octave, but the mere knowledge of these allows you make the required adjustment. A knowledge of Italian, for example, doesn't spoil you for learning Spanish. Sure, you can make the occasional booboo but overall the similarities actually aid the learning. The human brain is a wonderful thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,579 Posts
OK, you now have a clarinet. Soon you will find out how badly you suck!
It's easier to go from clarinet to sax than it is to go from sax to clarinet. :)

·
5,528 Posts
OK, you now have a clarinet. Soon you will find out how badly you suck!
It's easier to go from clarinet to sax than it is to go from sax to clarinet. :)
A likely response! :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts