Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! Long time lurker, new registrant. I always find my answers to saxophone questions here, so I thought I'd throw this at you guys. :)

I played Tenor Sax in high school, and I really want to get back into it. I still have the saxophone, but it's not in playing condition. I have a feeling it's going to cost me a few hundred to get it there.

The problem is that I don't know if it's worth it. I can't really find any information about this particular sax (pics included). It's a Vito, and the serial number is 508XXX, which would suggest the late 90s? I think? Except that it was at least a decade old when it came down to me in 1997. There's also no mark that distinguishes if it was made here, Japan (?) or France or wherever these Vitos were made, which makes me think it was made here, but I'm not really sure.

In any case, I don't mind spending the money to have it restored if it's worth it, but if it's probably only worth a few hundred as it is, I'd be interested in my options in the sub $700 price range. I'm open to what might be a decent student/low-budget option or a good vintage horn. As much as I love the sax, I've never been diligent enough with it to get past that level, so I'm sure I'd be comfortable with a lower level sax and not notice a difference.

Anyway, thanks in advance! Pics included.

View attachment 29249 View attachment 29250 View attachment 29251 View attachment 29252

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I'm not realy an expert on Vitos, but from that era I'm thinking it's made by Yamaha, a Yamaha YTS23, and would be a great entry level horn. Take it in and get an estimate. Anything you buy in the price range you mention will probably need work too. The most economical way for you to go is probably fix this one and you'll have a pretty decent horn, with reasonable ergos and good intonation..

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
this doesn't look like a French, American or Japanese Vito which only leaves the '90 Taiwanese option open.

Most Vitos (with some exceptions) are not very valuable and the Taiwanese strain must be the least valuable of them all. I would say that you would seriously struggle to sell this horn if you would ever decide to sell it and in my opinion this horn even in perfect playing conditions is probably worth less than 300$ and a lot less if not in perfect playing conditions. I think you can only sell it as is and expect the worst (but hope for the best ! :) ), in any case hardly worth repairing prior to selling.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
That is a Taiwanese Vito= JUNK!!
Sell it on ebay and get what you can for it. There are a lot of good horns for cheap lurking about right now. If you are looking for an entry level horn, try the Japanese made or french made vito's or the old dependable Yamaha YTS-23 or 52. "S" brace signet selmers are a good choice as well. Conn Pan American is another. If you buy an ebay horn, expect to sink some dough into it. Check out the horns for sale area of the forum. Our members are knowledgable and don't normally rip people off. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts