Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a pretty specific, very fun challenge. A friend of mine in NYC, a great alto player named Jeremy Udden, has gotten totally dialed in on a long shank/conn combo and loves the way it feels EXCEPT that he's right on pitch with the mouthpiece all the way in and the microtuner turned all the way in. I'd chopped part of the shank off of another long shank of his in the past, but he didn't want to have to modify each long shank he wanted to play on his Conn. For some cold weather wiggle room, he asked me to modify the neck to be able to tune in more, and this is what it ended up looking like. You can see by the tuner assembly's relationship to the pip how far it was moved.

IMG_20180525_101407 (1).jpg IMG_20180529_171426.jpg IMG_20180529_100933.jpg

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,568 Posts
Very nice fix, Dos Allen.

I've thought about this problem a good number of times in the past (also having cut shanks myself, e.g. metal Links), and never got to the point of thinking about a fix like this, and have not seen any one do it in the past of which I was aware.

It's possible I handled a Chu or 6M or 26M that had something like that done, but I have never seen it knowingly til now.

Very cool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts