Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to play sax in your buddy's cover band?

Then this is for you...

For a while now, I've wanted to put together a teaching method for students that want to learn the basic skills of a saxophone player in the real world. This is not a method about how to play bebop or Coltrane changes or Play "out". There's plenty of other resources for that stuff. This method is about what to do when you want to play the saxophone with other musicians who aren't "jazz" or "classical". I noticed that there is a bit of a gap in the information available out there and I myself felt a bit lost when I first started doing club dates. I had only studied playing standards and didn't really know what to do when it came time to play a solo on Disco Inferno. On my second club date ever back in the 90s in NYC, after sucking on tune after tune that I didn't know, I remember the trombone player on the gig telling me "it's alright man, you'll learn everything on the bandstand."
I was lucky to get enough gigs to eventually learn it all. I'm not sure musicians these days have as many opportunities and not all will be as lucky as I was. My goal in creating this method is to teach the things I wish I had known when I was starting out. A fine trumpet player once told me on the ride back from a club date in Jersey "If I really wanted to help my students I'd teach them all how to play I Will Survive"
You may not learn how to play that song in my method, but hopefully, you'll learn how to use your ear to learn popular songs, and what to play when it's time to take a solo. Hint: not bebop and Coltrane lines if you want to get called back for another gig.

I have heard lot's of intermediate players sound pretty lost trying to take solos on songs with simple harmonic progressions. I think that's partly because a lot of saxophone players get overwhelmed by jazz study and bebop language which is too much information if you just want to play in your buddy's cover band.

I don't want to spam the forum with yet another "learn the saxophone" site, but I have put a lot of work into this, and would be very happy if it helps some others get on the right track.

BetterSax.com is a work in progress, and I'll be adding new content as my busy schedule allows. So keep in mind it's far from finished. There's much more to come. Take a look and tell me what you think.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts