Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently an oboe, clarinet, and saxophone player. I know that I would have to learn bass clef, but other than that, how hard would it be to pick up the bassoon???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Picking up the bassoon is comparatively easy. It's playing it that's the problem. :wink: A prominent freelance doubler once described it to me as "a pain in the @ss."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,140 Posts
I am a saxophone/clarinet / flute player, but my girlfriend is a bassoonist and whenver I pick hers up just for fun I can see that with some work producing a good sound and controlling the pitch would be less of an issue than the fact that the fingerings are totally screwed up.
Question: If you've already got got saxophone, clarinet and oboe (for which I have huge admiration for you) chops, why not add flute to your arsenal as it is much more called for on doubling gigs?
Reeds seem to be a big issue too fro bassoon. Finding reliable ones that don't play too sharp or learning how to make them well is a cause for much frustration.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reeds

i already know how to make reeds due to the oboe, and i own a flute, I just dont play it much...maybe ill start playing it more.....thx for all the replys.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i had a friend in high school that played alto sax and bassoon. she said it was ok, not really that hard. (that is until her dog bit her face and took a piece out of her lip)
anyway...
since you already play oboe, it shouldn't be that much of a problem. fingerings and bass clef are the killers. :) then there is the price of a bassoon. and i thought saxes were expensive. :roll:
:)

good luck. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts