Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys... I got a tenor about 20 months ago after not playing for 20 years. It has been sitting for over a year while I was cleaning up a divorce, but I want to play again.

My church has a praise band... upbeat stuff but without sax parts and I have no understanding of theory... Anyone willing to scratch out some tenor sax parts to some Christian music if I provide you the score or at least a piano part for reference?

Let me know how much. Please msg me here or better to email me at tim at shootmyphoto.

Thanks in advance and God bless!

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you know nothing about theory, then the guitar chord charts will actually get you pretty far. Check out http://www.pwarchive.com They have tons of charts. Piano notation will be just a buch of dots and lines.

Practice at home, and hang out on the root note for each chord change for starters. After getting comfortable with this, you should start to feel more comfortable with alternate note selection for a bit of mobility. Start to learn scales and arpeggios for the most common keys that your P&W leader likes to play in.

BTW, remember that you need to play a whole tone higher than the key the music is written in. If the chord is a C, play a D on the T-Sax.

Good luck. I'm going through a similar struggle, although my main is currently guitar, and I'm attempting to double on T-Sax.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Tim, check your email. Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts