Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with both of these pieces? I'm currently playing a JJDV 10 with Java 2.5 reeds. I'm thinking about trying out a durga, but was wondering if anyone could compare the two for me before I lay out $700 to try one. Comparisons between the JJDV and any other Wanne pieces are also welcomed. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Me! I have a jj dv 7* and just switched to a Durga 8.

I know it is a personal preference thing, but the dv has become a paperweight. There really is no comparison, the Durga is a far superior piece.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input Pianojoe2001!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Me! I have a jj dv 7* and just switched to a Durga 8.

I know it is a personal preference thing, but the dv has become a paperweight. There really is no comparison, the Durga is a far superior piece.
What, in your opinion, makes it superior? Is it really $300 superior? I have played many pieces (no Wannes yet), to include an $850 refaced Hollywood Dukoff (man I wanted that mpc!), but none have played $300 or $400 better than a $250-$400 mpc couldn't already offer. Did they play better? Yes, I just wouldn't say enough better to personally justify the cost difference. But, as with anything, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I have owned a JJ DV 7 for a couple of years and tried the Durga 8.The 8 is the smallest they have. Got gas when I went to Theo's website. The Durga did not have the warmth that the DV has or the control, but had a great rock and roll sound and incredibly easy altissimmo with a softer reed.

Part of the problem I believe, was the large tip opening difference. I sold the Durga.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
and this is funny, as I am the one who bought the DURGA from Saxxsymbol (great transaction, thanks!)

It is interesting how different each of us can sound with the same piece. For me, the DURGA is less bright that the AMMA or than my Guardala studio for example. I can play jazz ballads and funky stuff with no problem as this piece is extremely well balanced. The low register is simply amazing. As saxxsymbol says, the altissimo is the best I know so far. Interesting also is that several players who tried the whole range of Wanne mouthpieces said that the Durga was fuller and not as bright as advertised on Theo's www site. Just my 2 cents.

I have owned a JJ DV 7 for a couple of years and tried the Durga 8.The 8 is the smallest they have. Got gas when I went to Theo's website. The Durga did not have the warmth that the DV has or the control, but had a great rock and roll sound and incredibly easy altissimmo with a softer reed.

Part of the problem I believe, was the large tip opening difference. I sold the Durga.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I agree with Marc. Looking at the high and long baffle on the Durga would make one think that it is crazy bright. It really is much smoother and darker than the design would indicate. Certainly has power to spare though.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think it's a personal thing. I own the DV, DV CHI, Amma & Durga, 7*'s in each piece and my preference is the DV CHI. It's full, rich, warm, fat sounding, powerful, not too bright, not too dark, centered I would describe it, and the most effortless piece I ever played in the last 35 years. Certainly the most versatile as well. Of the Theo pieces, I like the Amma the best. In my opinion, Theo and Jody are the premier mouthpiece makers today and their pieces are truly works of art. I lean on the DV CHI 7*. Once you play one, it's hard to play anything else.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I agree with Marc. Looking at the high and long baffle on the Durga would make one think that it is crazy bright. It really is much smoother and darker than the design would indicate. Certainly has power to spare though.
Ditto. Me and a 2 other friends switched from JJ to Wanne Durgas on alto and tenor. We found the Durga to be rounder and fuller sounding especially down bottom on the tenor. The altissimo on all Theo's pieces is great. I also played the JJ Chi after I switched to Wanne and liked it better than the DV (fuller sound) but no where near the Durga.

To NissanVintangeSax: Is it worth $xxx more than another piece? Yes it is and then some IF that what a person is willing to pay. It is not worth $50 more if a person is NOT willing to pay it. But of course you knew this. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
The Wanne is more hyped, it's bright but is also "mid scooped" and "mid low boosted".
For me, Wanne pieces work better on traditional bore instrument or with "Selmer-midrangy sound" instrument. I like the sound they produce on traditional bore horns.
Unfortunately on my huge bore tenor... Wannes sound "crappy".

I far prefer my JJ DV mouthpices (I got the JJ DV and the JJ DV Chi).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts