Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - I haven't had issues with GAS up until now. I play strictly alto, and have for a good five years, after switching from Soprano. I have a Ref54 that I adore; however, recently I've been listening to a TON of Getz, Prez and Hawk. I play guitar and sing as well, so one sax has been all but necessary. But my music is consequentially taking on a new sound, and while I'm attempting to adapt to my new taste, I can't help the overbearing urge to play tenor.

I play professionally with a bluegrass/rock band, but I'm a jazz player myself and I often play with a few other jazz musicians in temporary makeshift a bands usually in Cafe's in southwest, MI. My thrill in playing music has diminished slightly an I just don't get why. It's sort of a hit or miss during practices. I'm losing inspiration, I suppose, and a lot of times my sax just doesn't feel as free blowing or exciting. Mind you, I just had it re-adjusted and so far it's been better.

I've looked at getting beaters to play around on, but as a student, I can't reason spending money on something I know I wont be able to keep. I've always had my mind set on a pre-jubilee Serie III. I did something very bad to my mental focus in going to test drive one at my local music store. It was probably the best feeling I've ever experienced, very resonant, and free-blowing and my style seemed to fit perfect with the tone. Better than I was expecting!

Like I said, I'm a student paying my way through college, so money is a huge factor. I have no credit, though I could easily afford a payment. My alto (jubilee 54), I reckon, is worth $4500-$5000, as it's in great shape. But I still like it a lot, and my parents helped me pay for it when I was younger and I'd hate to hurt their feelings by getting rid of it.

Is this just a phase all sax players go through? Are their no-credit services that could help me?

·
Banned
577 Posts
If you want a beater, grab a Yamaha YTS 23 or Vito equivalent tenor. Crazy good used horns for the money. Then in a year or so grab a better horn. The Vito (Yamaha in disguise ) FOR $300 CDN was a revelation.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,509 Posts
you can borrow money with no credit. But EXPECT extremely high interest rates where truthfully, you wouldn't want. It's better to save up and pay cash than pay 3-4x (on the low side) it's purchase price on a high interest, no credit check loan.

YTS-52 are great horns too that I prefer over the 23s (I don't like the keywork on them, not smooth edges to the hand).
You could always look for one of those old Selmer USA pro tenors too, amongst a ton of other great vintage horns depending upon your budget.
But keep your alto, you'll find out that you'll want to swap between Alto and Tenor.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
It's generally not a good idea to sell one sax that you love in order to buy another sax that you think you'll love. Then you'll end up joining the ranks of SOTW members who post things like, "I used to have a great Ref. 54 alto, and I still regret getting rid of it." As recommended by the previous posters, it would be better to purchase the best used tenor you can afford with your current budget, and then work your way up later. There are lots of good horns out there that will cost you much less than a Series III. Even if you make that your long-term goal, it doesn't have to be your starter tenor.

Are their no-credit services that could help me?
Pursuing dubious financing schemes to satisfy a need for instant gratification is a bad idea, period. Take a breath and apply your common sense.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,781 Posts
Allow me to needlessly repeat what has already been clearly stated; do not sell the alto. Saxes are not 'created equal'. You have a great Selmer Paris alto sax that you know and love - keep it. Someday a tenor will find you - let it rest at that. You can play any kind of music in the world on the alto simply by learning to play in different styles.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! You're right, I'll give it time, maybe after college. I'll check into an old Vito or something to play around on in the meantime. Cheers, hope the start of the year has been good for you all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts