Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,952 Posts
very nice, great sound ( I have heard the conn-o-sax before and not always sounding as nicely as this) and playing

the only suggestion is to shoot videos with the camera (in this case I suppose the telephone or tablet) set horizontally or as it is also called in Landscape position ( even if you are shooting a standing subject) because that makes a better use of the format and resolution on any video platform.

As a photographer this never ceases to astound me every time I see it!

I'm surprised no Chinese company has cloned it yet. I'd think there is a market for it today.
Chinese companies ( and Taiwanese ones) are not as adventurous as you may suppose. They generally tend to stick to what sells, which is why the C melody adventures ( Aquilasax and Eppelsheim, both little to not successful in industrial terms) were only possible with a minimum order which would give them ( the Chinese makers) a guaranteed return. I suppose that if one would guarantee a few hundred pieces it would be possible to copy one and then keep the exclusivity for a couple of years. But then you would have to see whether the initial investment could be recuperated (a crowdfunding would probably be the best way to evaluate the real size of this market).

the closest that anyone came to anything remotely similar to this was Peter Jessen with his G mezzosoprano which has been produced in a couple of handful of pieces which maybe says a lot about how big the market for such things would be

You know that is precisely what the Conn-O-Sax is, right??
Not exactly, since it is in the key of F and not C or Bb, but yes to some extent, since it is a little lower than a soprano but extends from low A ( much lower than a soprano reach) to high G

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Milandro. My video skills leave a lot to be desired. I shot the video in portrait rather than landscape in an effort to capture the entire Conn-O-Sax, which is pretty long. I figured that the horn would receive as much interest as my performance.

·
42,952 Posts
Cheers, I understand that but whilst this certainly work with still photography it does't " work" with videos ( as long as the platform is horizontal)

by the way embedding the video on the forum saves a click out the forum :bluewink: and should bypass any youtube ads and show the first image straight (pun?) away

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't try to make money from my videos because payment is very low and I avoid the advertisements (I hope!) that would bother my viewers. I make videos for fun and they require the same concentration to achieve a good performance as a live show.
BTW, thanks for the direct link.

·
42,952 Posts
I wasn’t thinking or implying that you wanted to make money from your video with ads, but I think that Youtube, these days, has a way to link ads to videos even without your permission (I may be wrong)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I shot the video in portrait rather than landscape in an effort to capture the entire Conn-O-Sax, which is pretty long.
That was cleaver. Thanks for doing it. So many people on the web talking about fingering while filming in landscape with their right hand out of the picture. While I generally agree with Milandro's comment, in this situation I think you made the perfect choice.
Beautiful sounding horn.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Chinese companies ( and Taiwanese ones) are not as adventurous as you may suppose. They generally tend to stick to what sells, which is why the C melody adventures ( Aquilasax and Eppelsheim, both little to not successful in industrial terms) were only possible with a minimum order which would give them ( the Chinese makers) a guaranteed return. I suppose that if one would guarantee a few hundred pieces it would be possible to copy one and then keep the exclusivity for a couple of years. But then you would have to see whether the initial investment could be recuperated (a crowdfunding would probably be the best way to evaluate the real size of this market).
This has got me thinking. How much different is the Conn-O-Sax from a regular soprano, aside from the obvious ball attached to the end of it? Is there more to its mechanism to make it work? I mean, could someone make a similarly sweet sounding instrument by just altering the end of a regular soprano?

·
42,952 Posts
This has got me thinking. How much different is the Conn-O-Sax from a regular soprano, aside from the obvious ball attached to the end of it? Is there more to it's mechanism to make it work? I mean, could someone make a similarly sweet sounding instrument by just altering the end of a regular soprano?
For starters is not at all a soprano but more of a quasi alto or a low soprano, either way it would require a completely new body tune different distance of the toneholes and diameter of toneholes, in other words you can't just tweak a soprano tooling to make a Conn-O-Sax

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
For starters is not at all a soprano but more of a quasi alto or a low soprano, either way it would require a completely new body tune different distance of the toneholes and diameter of toneholes, in other words you can't just tweak a soprano tooling to make a Conn-O-Sax
I know the Conn-O-Sax is tuned in F, hence in between the tuning of a regular alto and a soprano. My question is, if we took a regular soprano in Bb and modified just the end of it would it acoustically work? Or would it still need a different design altogether? I don't have an understanding of the purpose or implications of that ball at the end, acoustically speaking.

BTW, just found this older thread on this topic: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?237488-conn-o-sax-cloning

1 - 20 of 37 Posts