Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,656 Posts
it was ok.... the notes were there but is lacking some high quality sound but pretty well played. .thats a kirk whalum tune .check out this guy laying this tune out on alto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v7rBKS7zL4
this is the type of sound Im trying to get but dont really have the gear or technical know how to achieve.all in all not bad keep it up

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was ok.... the notes were there but is lacking some high quality sound but pretty well played. .thats a kirk whalum tune .check out this guy laying this tune out on alto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v7rBKS7zL4
this is the type of sound Im trying to get but dont really have the gear or technical know how to achieve.all in all not bad keep it up
Well believe it or not....this video was my first introduction to this tune..and I loved the sound so much that i decided to practice this tune myself...so i payed someone to write down the chords so that i was able to make my own backtrack with Band in a box... Now that i got the tune in place....it;s high time to start analyzing what kirk is doing note by note.... to bring the tune to life....

The recording of brandon ross...well he does have a great sound it is what i want too.... I am still figuring out how he made the recording, what effects he used in detail... with my recording i tried something new like chorus dubbing the tune but i dont like the result that much...so that too it a learning curve.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,656 Posts
oh that guy brandon ross sounds great!! he has the right gear and oh yea plenty of talent helps.lol I would like to get that gear to get me in the ballpark at least

·
Self confessed GAS monster! Forum Contributor 2013
5,152 Posts
i also agree, in that is is very 'nice' but lacking that bit spark or energy, try letting go a bit more when you play, use more highs and lows in dynamics and attack the notes a bit more instead of legato.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
oh that guy brandon ross sounds great!! he has the right gear and oh yea plenty of talent helps.lol I would like to get that gear to get me in the ballpark at least
Now he has that studio tweaked to perfection.Thats so nice a alto sound.Reverb is spot on for smooth jazz.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,245 Posts
error - see next post

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,245 Posts
If anyone comes up with a nice backing track of Waltz for David, I'll also buy a copy.

Last summer my wife filmed this with her phone while I warmed up in the sun outside:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts