Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another thread I mentioned how I recently acquired another Couesnon Monopole clarinet. This one is from the 70's while my first one was made in 1960. I'd describe the 1960 model as having a darker & thicker sound and the new CM as sounding bigger and louder to me.

I described my impressions of the new CM to Walter and asked for a K14 that has as much ring as possible. The new mouthpiece arrived a day before my repair tech was finished working on new CM. So, I tried the new K14 on my 1960 CM. Frankly, it didn't feel right to me. It was on the bright side and felt like it was too free blowing (not enough resistence for the high range). I then switched back to the K14 I use on that clarinet and the sound was exactly what I love about this set up -- dark,thick, and vibrant.

My repair tech finished with the '70's CM and I was able to try Walter's new K14 on it. WOW!!! Absolutely amazing! The amount of resistance is just right and the sound rings and projects like gang busters. I need to spend more time getting used to this set up as it has a different feel from my 1960 CM. Never the less, first impressions are that I'm going to be really happy with this clarinet and K14. I'm thinking that it will be even better for big band playing than my 1960 CM set up.

If Walter Grabner ever needs a day job I think he'll make an great pychic! I'm amazed at how good this K14 matches the performance characteristics of my new CM clarinet...and how the first K14 I got from him is a perfect match for my 1960 model.

Roger

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SinkDrain,

It broke my heart when I discovered I was having problems with Legere reeds on Morgan clarinet facings. I wish that Ralph would investigate why that is. I wrote to him about it. Happily, Legere works beautifully on my Morgan 6C tenor piece.

When I first tried Legere reeds on Walter's mouthpieces I was deeply impressed with how beautifully they sound and perform. Wonderful response! I had to go with what works for me.

Roger

1 - 3 of 3 Posts