Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum.
I have owned a walt johnson for my keilwerth for years now and it has been ok. It was expensive and is a little heavy. I recently sold a lung and got a 5 digit Mark VI and it has its original leather-bound zipper case (in amazing shape) that I've been using but I would rather keep packed away (its a pretty loose fit in there and I don't want to damage either the horn or the case (and I fly a lot and I don't think it would fit in the overhead like my walt johnson always has))
Anyway I'm looking at a Protec which is pretty cheap and my local music store has one which I tried out with the VI and it fits very snuggly. Does anyone have any experience with the fit of a WJ and a mark VI?
Any opinions about the two?
Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I have both and found that I kept opening the protec to find that the horn had shifted and wasn't quite in the right spot (up near the neck receiver, it shifted towards the hinge. So, I had to stuff a diaper rolled up in there to make sure it didn't shift. With the WJ (that I just got) it seems much snugger....

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I use a Walt Johnson for my alto, and a Pro Tech for my tenor, with no problems! The Pro Tech offers much more room for extra stuff, of course adding extra pounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input...My only bad experience has been when I had my Keilwerth in the Walt Johnson case, it fell off the chair one time and it bent the bell (a little).
I don't plan on letting that happen again, but with a little research I've found that not all that uncomon for WJ cases. Its definately a rugged case on the outside but I don't know if I want to buy a second one (for the VI)

·
Registered
110 Posts
the problem stated in #2 above is a serious issue with protecs- they lock the bell in quite well but there's room around the top tube for the horn to move. What happens is if there is an impact (doesn't need to be a big one- can happen just from setting the horn down slightly less than gently) the bell won't move but the top tube does, causing the body to bend. Happened twice to my 67xxx mark vi before i figured out what was going on. Now it lives in a walt johnson. peace- mike

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I'll add to my previous post...

I like the shell of the WJ quite a bit, but I am concerned about the foam interior. I think that it's not firm enough to secure the horn. The Protec seems much better in this regard.

I think that the ideal case (in my mind anyways) isn't out there actually. An exterior like the WJ, but with a styrofoam layer followed by a firm-foam layer that fits very specifically to the horn.. Think about the design of a motorcycle helmet, or even the way that wine is shipped - it is all about impact protection and the fit of the enclosure to the item being protected.

The damage to horns bells in WJ cases is I bet the not-so-dense foam compressing to easily, allowing the bell to make contact with the case exterior, and not enough support on the rest of the horn, causing it to deflect under its own weight.

I wonder what other people's thoughts are?

Pete

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,941 Posts
Good observation, Pete. It makes me wonder whether other tenors (with smaller bells than the J-K) fare better. I see similar issues in other cases where there is too little padding between the thumb hook and the case. Ever notice the number of horns with dents at the thumb hook? Ever notice which side is down? Maybe it's just a coincidence.

I use a Walt Johnson case for my Ref 36 tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
My Mark Vi has been in a Pro-tec for 10 years with no problems, and I am definitely not the most gentle guy in the world!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,208 Posts
I dropped my BA when it was in a protec case once. I was in Copenhagen and had a gig in Poland the next day. What a nightmare. 1800 Danish Krone later I had a working horn. I have since learned my lesson and only travel with my WJ case. The flex on the protec was way too much and it won't absorb the energy of a fall well.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I have WJ, SKB, J. Winter, BAM Trek, and Wolf Pak.

The WJ is the one I fly with. I wish it had the interior of the SKB. The SKB pro is a really good case though. I've dropped my horn down a flight of stairs in that thing with no problems (except that it bent the aluminum valance). That's why I got the WJ. They Winter is okay but I think it's for a JK. I've actually checked my horn in the BAM case a few times and have had no problems but would not recommend it. The Wolf Pak tenor is a TERRIBLE case. I won't even pay samoeone to take it. I use it for an extra horn that a rarely even look at. The WJ's are a good fit with the VI. If you get a WJ then you may want to check the strap and get a good heavy duty one. Mine broke and the case hit the side walk and knocked a coulple of the feet off and skidded into the street. Just before a gig. The horn still played great though.

BTW - who you playin' with out in Seattle?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
If you're really concerned about your horn you should consider a Hiscox. Probably more protective than even a WJ. I have a Hiscox that I leave horn(s)in at home but I carry my VI tenors in an old SAXPAX-it's been around the globe a couple of dozen times and my horn has never suffered any damage. Scoff if you will but it works for me, you just have to pay attention and never check your horn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts