Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that many online stores have STOPPED stocking on WJ cases. There's even one saying that this is due to the recent "quality" of the cases.

I'm baffled. What is going on?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,692 Posts
I guess the price of used WJ cases just went up. ;)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The WALT JOHNSON cases were discontinued by Conn-Selmer. I just checked with my phone rep and she said that they are not making a return anytime soon. I thought for a time they were still available from the ACTUAL maker, but I believe that has been extinguished.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,692 Posts
I bought mine direct from Walt Johnson. Look up the website and contact them with your needs. There was some hearsay that there was an act of nature that destroyed some of their templates/drawings. Pity. One of those might have been the template that I gave them for a TrueTone bari - it made a great fitting case.

·
Registered
290 Posts
As of several months ago, they weren't making any cases, I don't know where they stand now. They were in the process of finding a new manufacturing facility (I heard they were looking over seas)... If they have contact info on their site, you best bet is to contact them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's one side of the story

This is the response I got from Matthew Aaron at Saxforte re WJ cases
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your e-mail.

Walt Johnson cases enjoyed a really good reputation for its production up to about 2004. Then they completely dropped their quality standard. Cases may have one or as many as all of the following problems...
- fit too tight
- case shells do not meet evenly
- shell surface is very uneven
- hardware not installed correctly,
- clasps do not latch closed properly or will not open once latched

In mid 2006 they restarted production in Mexico after being shut down for over a year and the quality dropped even further. Then we gave up.

Regards,

Mathew Aaron

http://www.saxforte.com
(864) 449-4444 9am to 10 pm Eastern, daily
That is when I started looking into the Winter and Eastman fiberglass alternatives. I'm still struggling to get someone who can ship one to Australia economically.
Dan

·
Banned
32 Posts
FYI: There's a guy thats selling the aforementioned "dropped quality" WJ cases on eBay--usually you can get one for $100-$140, "BestOffer". I gotta nice one that was just a little scratched for a "yard".

One can over look the flaws for that price. Check it out!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
SaxMonkey32 said:
One can over look the flaws for that price. Check it out!
Not if you're getting a WJ for it's protective qualities, or...?

danerida said:
That is when I started looking into the Winter and Eastman fiberglass alternatives. I'm still struggling to get someone who can ship one to Australia economically.
You might want to do a search on the Eastman cases. I believe initially there was some interest but then the concensus was that they really weren't that good or protective. I'm not sure, maybe I'm confusing them with another case, but if you can find the original thread it might not be a bad idea before going to the trouble and expense you anticipate.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Explain to me what I'm losing in "protective qualities" by buying a case thats SCRATCHED??

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
SaxMonkey32 said:
Explain to me what I'm losing in "protective qualities" by buying a case thats SCRATCHED??
Yours was scratched. The statement you made was a general recommendation regarding the WJ's for sale and that was what I responded to.

According to Mathew Aaron these are also problems with the current WJ's:
- fit too tight
- case shells do not meet evenly
- shell surface is very uneven
- hardware not installed correctly,
- clasps do not latch closed properly or will not open once latched

..and I would consider these conditions a damage risk not worth the price at any cost.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Somebody mentioned in this Forum that Jakob Winter cases are distributed in USA by the Eastman company.
Does that mean that Eastman cases ARE THE SAME as Winter cases?
I'm confused...cos if it's YES, then how come Winter cases fit Mark VIs well but not Eastman cases?
Man...this is annoying.

·
Banned
32 Posts
gary said:
Yours was scratched. The statement you made was a general recommendation regarding the WJ's for sale and that was what I responded to.
OK, man. This is an odd place, I guess I have to be more specific

To clarify.

The general recommendation I made WAS about the WJ from the seller on eBay, NOT about Matthew Aaron's WJ problems indicated in his post.

I think that, unless I got lucky, the guy on eBay is offering quite a deal. I have no idea where he gets them from, but I got now problem saving $200 because of a couple scratches, but maybe you don't, thats cool.

Also, I believe that the new Winter Fiberglass cases ARE the same as the Eastman Cases, which, seems like their place of manaufacture is somewhere in Asia.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Does that mean that Eastman cases ARE THE SAME as Winter cases?
They are not the same. Jakob Winter cases are made in germany, they are stocked at Weiner's if you want one. I want one, but I was quoted $275 and $300+ for two different methods of shipping. This makes for a very expensive case, and consequently out of my budget. All due to the size of the box the case is shipped in.

Eastman are similar to the Winter cases, but not the same. The eastman site has a list of distributors.

No one in Australia stocks these cases all I can find are Hiscox (which are butt ugly and SKB/BAM/protech none of which are fiberglass which is the strongest option).

·
Registered
296 Posts
SaxMonkey32 said:
OK, man. This is an odd place, I guess I have to be more specific

To clarify.

The general recommendation I made WAS about the WJ from the seller on eBay, NOT about Matthew Aaron's WJ problems indicated in his post.

I think that, unless I got lucky, the guy on eBay is offering quite a deal. I have no idea where he gets them from, but I got now problem saving $200 because of a couple scratches, but maybe you don't, thats cool.
For a C-note, I got one for my Mk VI alto. I was hoping that it would fit, because apparently the WJ cases have different interiors for different horns. It fit the VI like glove, but did not fit some of my other altos. So I lucked out. The case is pretty much perfect as far as I can tell. The hardware works very well, the case closes perfectly... All I could find were a few surface scratches on the exterior.

I suppose that it is possible that the guy selling them for $300 could have picked them up on ebay for $100. It would be hard to know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,266 Posts
I cannot tell you how glad I am to hear that that As1234e Walt Johnson is finally getting waht he deserves. I had a WJ case for my bari that only cost me $400.00 in repair bills. I bought mine in the late 90s and it was a piece of crap then. These cases flex when any stress is put on them. A flexing exterior results in a flexing interior which results in a flexing Bari.

A scratch on a WJ case results in a minor flaw in the strength of the exterior. Mine had a small ding in it that got worse as time went on. The ding happened after the major accident I had with the case. Actually I had two accidents with the case: the first was that I trusted it to protect my horn and the second was that I put my horn in it.

These are bad cases. Trust them as far as you can throw the Selmer factory.

By the way, the party in honor of WJs demise has already begun!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mike Manning in New York makes custom cases that use the same shell Walt Johnson uses but with an interior designed and made by Manning and adjusted for the horn in question. You can find out more at www.manningcustom.com.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a winter case from the 80's and it held up really well. Traveling, gigs, etc... However, a stagelight melted right through it and I'm forced to get a replacement because of water getting in there and causing a smell...and not a good one. So, if you find an older winter, I can attest to their affectivness...barring stagelight attack.

Josh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts