Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walstein saxophones...too good to be true? Any experiences out there? I am particularly interested in a tenor as a back-up.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,937 Posts
I bought one of their sopranos and have used it on TV recording sessions. I've borrowed a tenor, which I'm currently using for a comparison test against a 10M, The martin, MKVI and yangisawa 901. Although it quite doesn't excel at any one style like the vintage horns, it is a better all rounder than any of them. My main criticism is the height of the RH pinky keys, I prefer them a bit nearer the other RH keys, but I'm sure a good tech could fix that.

Overall I'd highly recommend it, I prefer it to the 901. It's better for rock & roll than the MKVi and better for jazz than the Martin.

I never thought I'd be saying that of a modern instrument, especially one as inexpensive as this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete,

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. At those prices it hardly even seems a gamble.

Michael

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
I've just taken the gamble, as a second horn (my first tenor though), at £299. I'll let you know when it arrives today

They do charge postage out at £1.50 though, so bear that in mind :)

I used to love the sound of my rented YAS-275, a £400 alto, and when I could afford to buy, I went straight to a pro alto. Sometimes these "cheaper" saxes just seem to sing more............I'll do a full report

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shall be really interested to hear how you get on with your new purchase. I have a Trevor James tenor and it sounds great although it's quite a hard blow.

£1.50 for postage is outrageous.

Looking forward to your report.

Michael

PS I live in Leicestershire coincidentally.

·
1,207 Posts
Micheal,

It arrived today (next day service for £1.50!!, tut, I really would have expected sameday)

Superb stuff, I treated myself to an otto link from Sheehans (not the cheapest place, I know) and have had a blast playing it for the last two hours.

The fit and finish is superb, even the case is OK, no leaks, blows throughout the horn very evenly and smoothly.

I have a very nice Yamaha and Martin alto, and this seriously compares on quality, it is an absolute steal.

If you fancy popping around for a trial, I am in Houghton On The Hill, anytime.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matthew,

Thanks for the information. I may well take you up on your offer. I live in Ashby and work in Loughborough.

I am seriously tempted to make a purchase. I was thinking of going for a P Mauriat but from what you and Pete say this could be the P Mauriat of tomorrow. Better get in quick before prices rocket and they start charging £3.00 for delivery. I'm going to sleep on it, but as you rightly say it is a steal.

I use an Otto link 6* with a Rovner lig but I've heard your work on Youtube and you're way out of my league. Very nice indeed.

How are you finding the intonation?

Thanks again for sharing.

Regards,
Michael

·
1,207 Posts
Intonation is spot on, did some Aeberold play-alongs tonight and it sounded superb, no embouchure adjustment necessary :)

I am not sure a new horn will solve your free-blowing problem though, that could be a reed/mpc problem. That has been my experience on the alto. Perhaps try something closer and softer (mpc and reed that is) or a different shaped chamber on the mpc. Ottos are not particulary freeblowing, methinks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matthew,

Yes you're spot on. I have recently changed to the Otto link from a metal Selmer piece which I had been playing for a about three years. The Selmer is a lot easier to use but I get a much better sound with the Otto and it will take all the air I can put through it without any problem. My teacher (very experienced saxophonist) has tried my sax and she finds it hard work. On the plus side it is building up my diaphragm muscles.

Regards,
Michael

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
OTTOs are mean beasts, takes some time to get used to them and gave and still do give my chops a hard time, perhaps I was a little too greedy going straight away to 7* from the very beginning (it was acquired by chance, it's a long story...), now I stepped down just a little on a 7 with Alexander superial (D.C. too) 2,5 and all of a sudden subtoning improved. Very nice indeed the walstein horns, who knows? I might be tempted by the price/quality.
I am very curious about these Walstein horns.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have moved onto Alexander DC and Superial 2.5 recently. I think I prefer DC but I would be hard pressed to quantify why. I was using 3.0 but they were just proving a little too difficult for me with the Otto link.

·
38,875 Posts
yeah ! I think is the Link chamber, it is just an enormous open round space, gives you many possibilities, but it is difficult to control.

I like alexander they are very bright, I don't particularly like Vandooren but sometimes is all you can find so I make do, If I have to but then I use a S80

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sometimes use Vandoren Jazz which I like. I have also purchsed an S80 with the Walstein sax. How do you find your S80?

·
38,875 Posts
it's alright, I have a D, very easy to play but I don't like it very much, Matthew has had very fine results with it, I am less proficient with it I suppose.

I also have a super session F, now, that is totally different mpc! But somehow I liked when I bought it and now don't like it not so much you need to give pieces time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have ordered a D. I agree about giving mouthpieces time. When I first bough the Otto link I could barely get a sound out of it so it lay in drawer for about two years. I thought metal mouthpieces were much cooler anyway and played my Selmer metal piece. I couldn't go back to the Semer mouthpiece now as it just sounds so harsh in comparison with the Otto link. I bought a Berg Larsen metal mouthpiece on ebay but found it too difficult to control because it has a fairly wide lay. I can play it now but for me it is nowhere near as nice as the Otto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
I've ordered one Walstein bronze tenor today, I'll report once it comes including how long was the wait.
Cheaper shipping I ever experienced on the net: 8.5 British Pounds to Canada! Of course no VAT, about 263 GBP total cost.
Since the shipping is so reasonable I think there is no need to look for a north american distributor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Wow! Based on what everyone else has been saying (VERY quick shipping in UK), I would expect it to come within a week or so!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts