Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I looked at some used saxes on ebay and they have some good deals!
Cannonball Big Bell Global Series $1200 shipped
SX-63A-ABE-Maxtone $1230 shipped
Antigua A521 $1200 shipped

Now I think I'll get the Cannonball!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't the vintage better? with the double arms keys better pads and everything. that's just what I've heard so if there isn't a big difference then I would save myself a couple hundred bucks and go with the classic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
I had both a Walstein and a Barone Classic (not Vintage, and if I had to redo my purchase I'd still go with the Classic).
There is no doubt that the Barone was better in about everything. But it is also twice the price, so I'd say the Barone is the better instrument and the Walstein might be the better value (even better the one that is being sold here by William Bua).
I think your best bet would be a used Barone Classic around 1K.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had both a Walstein and a Barone Classic (not Vintage, and if I had to redo my purchase I'd still go with the Classic).
There is no doubt that the Barone was better in about everything. But it is also twice the price, so I'd say the Barone is the better instrument and the Walstein might be the better value (even better the one that is being sold here by William Bua).
I think your best bet would be a used Barone Classic around 1K.
Then Barone it is! The question now is Classic or Vintage?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
They are both great horns but they are very different from each other. The Classic is more like a Mark VI and the Vintage is more like a Conn. The Classic requires more control from the player to sound good on but it has just an awesome tone. The Classic is like a Formula 1 Car and the Vintage is more of a NASCAR. They are both fast and powerful but one you kind of just muscle through everything and the other requires a lighter touch.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I almost bought that 880 Yani myself; they are excellent tenors, with a vintage Mark VI kind of focused sound.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
I'm going to add a Yanagisawa A880 because I found a cheap used one.
No matter what you buy you have to factor in what comes with it. my horns all come with a case comprable to a BAM that sells for $250 if sold seprately and a two hundred and fifty dollar mouthpiece and a custom neck. So even if you buy one used make sure it comes with these things. Phil Barone

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Phil makes some excellent points. His horns don't require you to spend more money. The Bauhaus walstein comes in a case I would replace and with a second rate student mpc. Barone horns have that covered. There is a reason they cost more. Though I still haven't played a Barone horn yet, the value he offers with his package is about the best around.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have to second that. I now own two Barones, tenor and alto. I bought the tenor new, and the case and mouthpiece are all I could ask for -- unlike the much more costly Yanagisawa soprano I also bought, which came with a junky plastic mouthpiece that I immediately replaced with something costing over $200. And the case cradles the saxophone very, very nicely. I have no concerns about damage during transport (although I wouldn't trust it or any case to a baggage handler, even so). Given the case and the mouthpiece, and the quality of the instruments, these are absolutely outstanding values.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts