Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Famous value my saxophone post!

So, I acquired Walstein Model SS-P soprano (straight) which i thought was a cheap buy to be fair. Has a couple more issues cosmetically than i thought but overall is in great shape with some tiny black marks here and there.

Now i'm very much inclined to keep it but would like to get a rough value. I've only seen one that had a rough value of £550 - £700 but other than that cant really find anything.

Be great if anyone could tell me anything about this, i.e new price, level etc.

Thanks in advance!

· Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,595 Posts
wow you did very well, I think it would probably by worth ( cautious and conservatively) somewhere around £500+ ( I think that the fact that the brand has faded from the market has some impact on pricing, these were not cheap when new ) .

Pete Thomas, if I am not mistaken, had a straight soprano ( I had a curved one) , I am not sure that it was the Phosphor Bronze but he may be able to shed a light on its value since he may have sold it too.

Another person to ask about is Palo Tung, he sold Bauhaus Walstein in the US for a while.

Bauhaus Walstein were also sold at Sax.co.uk before they had a falling out .

I can still see some being sold for good money ( this isn't even the bronze versione which was more expensive)

43,595 Posts
Cheers James,

£200 is still peanuts for a good saxophone like these. True Bauhaus Walstein sourced them in China but their quality control was, to me, worth the extra money conpared to other brands which may have looked similar (and in same case may have been almost identical and even coming from the same factory) BUT it all hinged on their reputation which was very good.

I have the chance to meet the BW team in Frankfurt and , came the time I needed a soprano I chose theirs. At the time I was helping a Taiwanese company and could have chosen one of mine ( which would have costed me less) but I still preferred the BW ( because of the angle of the neck and the low keys being on the right side rather then on the left with an impact on the mechanics) .

Good luck with the sale if you decide to sell.

43,595 Posts
Quick question - who do I contact to restore my selling privileges as I had them on the old forum before it was updated.
@james sax

you need to contact @VSadmin

which may reply and reinstate your privileges

( last seen two days ago) I suppose they are to be found on officie hours some place in the world

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,839 Posts
Quick question - who do I contact to restore my selling privileges as I had them on the old forum before it was updated.
Are you selling this sop already?

Reactions: james sax

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,839 Posts
That was pretty quick to go from “Famous value my sax post” to selling it - and a lil’ too obvious.

Please don’t play the forum to do your horn-flipping homework.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That was pretty quick to go from "Famous value my sax post" to selling it - and a lil' too obvious.

Please don't play the forum to do your horn-flipping homework.
Is that not why people ask what it's worth so they can sell it for the correct value......... I didn't know I had to try hide that! Could you please point me to the part where it says I'm not allowed to ask about the value of a saxophone?

No matter my intentions I have every right to ask questions appropriately and I believe these where appropriate. I didn't know much about the horn so wanted to find out. What I then do with horn is my own business.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.