Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys -

I've been planning and building a recording and practice studio in my basement for quite a while. It's about done now, and I've had the idea of wall-mounted stands to free up some floor space and to keep cats and toddlers at bay. There are a few threads on this subject already, but it doesn't seem like many people have actual experience with these things, so I'll post my thoughts. (I'm not affiliated with these products in any way!)

I ordered direct from www.swingstring.com which is based in Wisconsin. They shipped the next day and I had them within a few days (free shipping). The prices are very reasonable, especially for the flute, clarinet and soprano stands, which are a more simple design than the alto/tenor stands. You can see the prices on the site, but they're cheaper than any of the other brands mentioned in other threads. A lot of their business seems to be with music stores - you can get slatwall mounting. I ordered the "flatwall" mounting plate in order to mount on regular drywall. I made sure to mount into studs, although I missed the stud somehow on the flute stand - I used drywall anchors on that one.

They're all VERY secure - no way they're going anywhere. It takes a bit of wrangling to get the alto/tenor arms adjusted, but once you do they're solid taking the horn on and off. Installation tip: take the hardware off the mounting plate while screwing into the wall. They've only been up for 12 hours, I'll update if I have any problems, but I'm very happy with them so far! Highly recommended.

-Sam

View attachment 27896 View attachment 27897

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Thanks for posting - those look great. I forget where I got mine, but I've had them up now for about 5 years with no problems. I even hang my Bari on one. I wouldn't want it to undergo an earthquake, but otherwise it is just dandy up there. Mine are metal ones for slats (ingles brand) mounted to a wood plate, mounted to the wall. Yours look a little nicer.

Pete

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Sorry to thread hijack but ---

Does anyone know any stores that stock wall-mounted stands in Australia?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
These two shops are dealers of String Swing products:

BROSNAN'S MUSIC CENTRE
SHOP 66,
BANKSTOWN, NSW2200
Australia

NATIONAL MUSIC PTY LTD
12 HUNTINGTON PLACE
QUEENSLAND, 4014
Australia
Phone: 61-7-32676455

From their website:

These music stores have carried String Swing products in the past.
Check with your area retailer to see if they offer the particular products you are interested in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,
I actually brought these Locoparasaxo wall stands for my sax. I have two. The Brecker for my Tenor and the Parker for my Alto. Both are excellent and I would highly recommend these. Paddy is the owner of Locoparasaxo stands. If you are in the UK like me, try Pete Scaddan at http://www.studiosaxophones.co.uk/. He's a top man and I found him very helpful and friendly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
I've been using some of these for a number of years with good results. I have zero complaints as far as how they've held up over time. The only downside I can comment on is that they generally don't work well with saxes that have either split or LH bell keys.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've been wanting to do this but have not been able to source from the Aussie suppliers mentioned above. Any other Aussies had experience getting hold of these? I suppose I could always order off eBay USA but it shouldn't be that hard. Maybe there are some other options now?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts