1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 1
Starting out

Who am I:
Hello everyone! I am a 21 years old student, passionate about music. I have been playing piano since childhood and adore Chopin. I love jazz, blues and all the other genres, but not Rock that much. I love vocals and all the great woman vocalists: Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Billie Holliday, Whitney Houston and many more.

1 year ago I decided to buy a saxophone since I liked it that much. I bought one from amazon, that was the cheapest Alto Sax available there. However, it will serve well for basics (I hope).

Since than, I have been playing on my own, but never had an approached routine to practice. I only played once in a while, and you can guess, with no results at all.

I have decided now to get serious about it, and improve.

Goal

I think, I made a decision to play saxophone, to be able to sing through it, like the ones that inspire me sing with their voice.
So my ultimate goal is: To sing through saxophone.

How to get there:
First of all I need motivation (which I already have).
That I need structure, simple goals for every day (learn this scale today, that one tomorrow, etc.).
I have been browsing this forum for a while now, you guys are very helpful and I have learned a lot from you, I am thankful for that, and I count on you along my journey.

What I know
I know several tunes (autumn leaves, misty, etc.), which I do not play on the desired level.

Issues to address currently
My number one problem is intonation. I am very sharp in the upper register. My tone is not consistent. My technique is basic, unevenness of fingers, no knowledge of theory.

Tasks for today
I will now try with tuner to play different notes and try not to change my embouchure, will try not to bite and to maintain it relaxed. I will try not to be sharp in the upper register, I will try to have open throat.
I will learn my first scale: C major scale and play it at 80.

These are the points I should work on as of now.

Any suggestions from you are appreciated. I'll keep you posted on every single improvement. You are a huge inspiration!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick Update

What I practiced
I have done 20 minutes of long tones and 20 minutes for C major scale.
Long tones - I did them for c major scale, as long as possible with tuner. It really makes you concentrate, especially when you are not looking at your tuner. I will incorporate long tones daily in my practice.
C major scale - The purpose of doing this was, first, learning C major scale so that fingers are mechanically used to it. Second, to observe my sharpness in the upper register and try sth to improve it. I tried to maintain the same tonal quality throughout the range. I practiced this for 20 minutes on different metronome settings: 40, 50, 60, 80, 120.

Learnings
I put more mouthpiece in than usual. The effect was positive. The tone is bigger, however I do not like the quality of it (it is kind of honky?). And the notes became more even intonation wise. Good job. I will try to do the same next time as well. But soundwise, I do not like it at all (more mouthpiece in).

Bermuda Triangle
The three sharp notes - A, B and C of the second register (C, D and Eb for piano) - are Bermuda Triangle for me. I could not help their sharpness at all.
The good thing is that I observed, that my airsupport is less in this notes, because they sound really big with the same air support (which I try to avoid?). When I try not to change anything in embouchure and give the same air support, they are OK. However, they are still shaky, and I can not play them evenly. I need more practice here.

Next Goals
The next phase is definitely to improve my C scale and get used to the new embouchure (more mouthpiece in). Do long tones. What should I add on this stage? Is it better to add a second scale, or do minor or sth else for C scale?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
You need your own blog...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
do long tones no just in C, but in all the horn.. and get a blog xD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts