Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I'm covering old ground here - I couldn't find anything so here we go.

I play in a funk band and I want to use various effects with my saxophone. I run it through a standard issue PA system and Shure PG57 mic. The other day I tried to use it with a friend's Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Classic wah wah pedal and it just didn't work. The wah was minimal and the whole thing was too quiet. I also tried it with his effects pedal (he's a guitarist) as a preamp - same problem.

I've heard of impedance converters and the need for mic pre amps but was wondering what is actually necessary for it to work properly. Also I don't want to do the sensible thing and buy a vocal effects pedal as even £150 is too much money for me!

Thanks
ES

·
Registered
270 Posts
you need a premp before rhe pedal. it may be possible to crank enough gain out of some other pieces of gear (anything with a gain pot) as well but you will also get more noise.
you can also put the pedal in the effect loop of your mixer. either channel insert or pre fader aux with the channel fader down.
crybaby is not best suited for sax. the sweep freuency is not fundamental part of sax sound and the active part of the pedal travel is very narrow.
it may work better if you put a fuzz pedal in front of it. that will give you a fat analog synth kind of sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
727 Posts
Another way to try the cry baby is through a different mic, and also depends on the register of the instrument, to make it works better.
Sometime ago I played my bass clarinet through an Audio Technica ATM35 attached to the bell, + a crybaby (a guitarist borrowed me one to play it), and works pretty well above 2nd B and up, higher the better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, i'll try the fuzz pedal idea in a few days, its that analog synth sound i'm looking for (but with wah)
Any problems with impedance or is that unimportant?

ES

·
Registered
347 Posts
That Crybaby is particularly weak. You should try to get a wah with a bigger sweep, perhaps a bass wah even. If you're serious about it, you should get a Real McCoy Custom 3. You can tweak every parameter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts