Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I thought I was going crazy but my new YAS26 is ridiculously sharp - I play an A and it's practically a C. Play a C and it's a D#. The mouthpiece is about halfway along the cork, and even pulling it right back until it's falling off doesn't come close to the right tuning.

What is going on?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Are you reading off of a tuner? If so it's probably giving you notes in concert pitch, instead of the pitches that you read.
An Alto Sax is in the key of Eb, which means a written C comes out as an Eb, an A as a C, and so on with every note being the same internal away. You sound like you're a bit flat actually, considering you said an A is almost a C.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I see!

*Reads all about transposition...*

Ah, I get it!!!

*tunes sax A to C on tuner*

Sweeeet 😎

Thanks TrueTone!!!!!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Welcome to transposing instruments....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Are you reading off of a tuner? If so it's probably giving you notes in concert pitch, instead of the pitches that you read.
An Alto Sax is in the key of Eb, which means a written C comes out as an Eb, an A as a C, and so on with every note being the same internal away. You sound like you're a bit flat actually, considering you said an A is almost a C.
This.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2017
427 Posts
As if learning a new instrument wasn't confusing enough :)

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Practically a C.... That means you're flat, BTW. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem. A mixture of how much to push the mouthpiece in and the fact that it's a transposing instrument and my tuner app was a little slow.

Try different apps, if you are using them or just make sure you set your tuner to Eb. If you can't, look up "transposing table saxophone". There you can manually check if you are playing tuned correctly.

·
Registered
368 Posts
*LOL*
Yeah they don't really give instructions with tuners to explain this do they. I just remember in middle school band where the band director would call out all these different notes to each horn section and have us all play it together and explain why each horn was playing a different note that sounded the same.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Stated differently: Waaaaaay sharp - C is an Eb !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,570 Posts
I have got to stay off this beginner's forum - every time I see a post like this it gives me high blood pressure and I start to write very pointed comments.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts