Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a pristine one of these and wanted to see if anybody beside Helen (i have read her articles twice) knows or has played one of these?

My understanding is that they were associated with B&S at some point.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
Never even heard of this brand till you mentioned it. According to Helen: 'Werner Roth closed down his shop in 1972", so info might be scarce. Someone mentioned Max Keilwerth similarities.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a slightly different animal then Max's horns but more similar to Hammerschmidt.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
Please let us know if you get one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have owned several Roth Saxophones, currently have one "Royal". All the tenors were very good Horns. The altos however had an intonation that was hard to tame.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
Yes and to that post I wrote that that horn is , to me, an AKUSTIK which was the brand that flowed into what later was called B&S- Weltklang

let me post here the answer I gave you 3 years ago

I have had both and despite some similarities there are numerous differences for example it the mechanics way more complex of the Akustik. The looks too were very ambitious and the red, blue and other colors full set of pearls were very special to look at.

Akustik ( made by V.E.B Sachs Musikinstrumente, a company that was its own thing from 1946 that only later, in 1953, merged with VEB Blechblas- und Signal-Instrumentenfabrik, more commonly known as B&S, the company which made Weltklang. So it is really the other way around.

In my opinion Akustik was, at least in their beginnings, aiming at a high end ( as high as an East German product could reach) market while Wetklangs had a more modest scope (in fact they tried to cater for the high end market by producing a better line called B&S, for example the Blue label series which was an improvement compared to ordinary Weltklangs at least until the ’80.
B&S had many years to develop their own line and Akustik was an early horn which had many features present in even earlier horns ( microtuner, high D, Eb and G# trills, rolled toneholes ) mostly unseen on the majority of B&S/Weltklang that I know.

In other words I don’t think that there were too many direct lines leading from Akustik horns to Weltklang or B&S. Despite the fact that one factory merged with the other they might have used only the facilities and workforce.

Well that is more than interesting. So how do the B&S horns shape up by comparison to Akustik horns? Ergonomics aside, what the intonation / tone comparison?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
compare this alto

1 - 8 of 8 Posts