Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title implies, I'm interested in feedback as the whether, all things equal (mouthpiece/reed combo) the Vintage Reborn produces a more mellower overall tone than the Big Bell?

Thanks.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,836 Posts
I think the Vintage Reborn is inherently warmer and richer than the Big Bell. It has a nice combination of a warm vintage tone mixed with some modern edge and brilliance. The Big Bell, for me, is brighter, more powerful, and has a boxier sound...real nice for modern stuff. But we all blow different, so it might be different for you. Sam Ash is a popular music chain that carries these...see if you can find one fairly close and go try them out.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I just returned from trading the Big Bell I purchased last week for a Vintage. Overall mellower tone. I also like the lighter key action.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Once owned a BB alto and VR alto. Sold the BB as the VR got 90% of play time. The lighter key action is noticeable and appreciated. I've had the VR for 2 years and still in love . . . . . :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once owned a BB alto and VR alto. Sold the BB as the VR got 90% of play time. The lighter key action is noticeable and appreciated. I've had the VR for 2 years and still in love . . . . . :)
The VR is also considerably lighter in weight. The BB was a back breaker.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
If there is a weight difference, it has to be in a few ounces. If that really makes a big difference to you than you should take a good look at your health.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If there is a weight difference, it has to be in a few ounces. If that really makes a big difference to you than you should take a good look at your health.
Some of us get our exercise by jumping to conclusions. . . . . . :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I played a Gerald Albright and a VR on the same day. To me, the VR had more buzz to the sound. The VR was more focused and had more"core". I call it "sawtooth" sound...from Roland's D50 synth bank sounds. Selmer aficianados call it another thing that I won't mention ....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts