Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aside from the TSA approval, I don't think this has any particular benefits over just having a small tool kit in your case. And even then, it would arguably only benefit those who aren't checking in baggage. And, as mentioned, those screwdrivers are a bit too short, really.

All you need is a couple of small screwdrivers, a crocheting hook, some teflon tape, a little bottle of clear nail polish, a little bottle of oil, a couple of emery boards and maybe some tiny pliers. I've got my tools in a small pencil case and they easily fit in my sax case.
Jazz House, I'll bite... Could you briefly describe your use of the contents of your pencil box? Screwdrivers and crochet hook I get. The others?
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,657 Posts
Jazz House, I'll bite... Could you briefly describe your use of the contents of your pencil box? Screwdrivers and crochet hook I get. The others?
Thanks!
Ok. Here we go!
  • small screwdrivers, - self-explanatory
  • a crocheting hook, - spring hook
  • some teflon tape, - great for dealing with compressed neck cork or as a temporary clarinet joint fix. It's also useful as a temporary fix for various shrink tubing related problems.
  • a little bottle of clear nail polish, - thread lock.
  • a little bottle of oil, - for lubricating keywork
  • a couple of emery boards - I like emery boards because you get two grades of sandpaper on a neat little stick. This is handy for sanding down contact materials. Rarely needed, but useful.
  • maybe some tiny pliers. - Sometimes my fingers are too big and clumsy to hold certain things, so pliers can be handy. They're useful for extracting rods (with care, of course).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts